Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you test booting into an nvme drive?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can you test booting into an nvme drive?

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    That very tiny screw is what I'm trying to find. Going to Micro Center to pick another nvme drive and will see if they have it. I just re-installed my nvme ssd, but mine is built into the motherboard. I think sudodus has an add-on nvme.
    I was very cautious with that tiny screw, realizing that my old eyes might not see it, if I would drop it to the floor.

Yes, I connected my nvme drive (an m2 stick) via a PCI Express card to the motherboard. (And my computer cannot boot from it, but can use it for the root partition when booted from another drive.)

Still not sure what size it really is, looks like M2, and search just finds other metric screws.
    www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=nvme+screw+size& ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I like the second link is $7.99 but $144.19 for expert installation.
    I found useful links specifying that tiny screw via your search pattern. Thanks @oldfred

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like the second link is $7.99 but $144.19 for expert installation.
    lol. If you can find it locally in a bin of a hardware store or, better, your local makerspace, it would be less than a quarter.

...sorry to bust in, all. I don't know what sub-forum this even is. I just read about the screw on the feed...

As you were.
    --jetsam
    Last edited by jetsam; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:00 PM. Reason: minor grammer fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The dimension of that tiny screw is related to the motherboard. There is certainly no standard size. The screw on my PCI-card has one size and the screw on the motherboard has a different size. The screw on the MSI motherboard isn't that common. I had the opportunity to find a replacement in a computer repair shop, but I didn't find one.
    However there is an advantage to use the PCI-card as you are able to easily remove the NVMe disk in case you want to install different systems on different disks. The big drawback is the speed. Average read speed is in my case limited to about 1GB/s on the PCI-card.
    @sododus
    OK I can use my spare NVMe Samsung 960 EVO to do some testing. I normally use dd to copy an ISO to USB, but it's good to learn some more methods.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The M.2 nomenclature for the type of storage notwithstanding, I believe that "M2 screw" represents the size of the screw (M2.0 wafer head machine screw), which should have a thread length of about 1.5mm in most cases. These can be bought by the gross.
    Last edited by QIII; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:57 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    @sododus
    OK I can use my spare NVMe Samsung 960 EVO to do some testing. I normally use dd to copy an ISO to USB, but it's good to learn some more methods.
    Good news

Please tell me if you need [more] details in order to start testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yes, but... who needs a gross of screws? What are you going to do with the other 143? I guess you could start using them for odd projects, if you bought an m2 tap and had something to tap into...

...it doesn't matter much...

There is an issue though in that there's more than one common threading for an m2 screw, and we're not certain it's an m2 even. You need calipers and a thread gauge: about $140.00 for quality versions, maybe $40.00 for inexpensive but functional clones from China...

Edit: It's not just thread length, it's thread spacing... you buy different taps for different screws with different thread spacing. Using the wrong threaded screw is liable to strip the threads, break the screw, gum up the works. Quite likely in this instance, you would strip the threads and make the screw non-functional. It would vibrate loose in the case later, and roll around and annoy you 'till you found it three years later while dusting the fans... Not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things
    Last edited by jetsam; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

So far so good
    Now it's only to select the NVMe drive and see if it's OK to boot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Now I will reboot to see if it's working.

Beans
    Distro

Worked to boot from the NVMe in legacy mode. Perhaps there is a setting in BIOS to boot from the EFI partition.
    Perhaps this wasn't the usecase you wanted. When I start the installation I'm able to install Ubuntu to either sda, the Samsung 250GB SSD, or ScanDisk Cruzer Contour USB.
    Last edited by P-I H; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It is a good idea to avoid tampering with your main computer.

What I want is testing mkusb and Calamares:

- Test if the tool can make a complete installation into an nvme drive so that the computer can boot from it
    - If it works, fine, that's it,
    - Otherwise help debugging by repeated tests with modified versions of the tool until it works.
    Yes, I can install using Calamares and it does boot. Unsure about meaning of 'mkusb'. I install ubuntu.iso using hybrid method into my usb flash, then boot into that usb, then install from Calamares into my m.2 ssd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast