Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to work

Beans

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

I'm sorry to have to report a BIG NEW problem. Everything was working well for several days. Today it was working and on all day....I took a nap and then came back to the computer [not having been turned off] and noticed there was NO internet. I ran some of the diagnostics and some of the 'fixes' and 'repair' methods listed in this thread. Nothing worked. The computer said my wifi device was down. I rebooted and remembered that a new kernel was installed this morning, so I tried two older kernels. Nothing helped. Now all of my hardware-based network devices are UNCLAIMED. Please help! I'm really confused at how it went from just fine to all messed up again. Today, I was doing mostly word-processing while also sometimes doing internet searches and connecting to various sites.....somewhere in the later part of the day, something went terribly wrong. I was NOT using terminal until AFTER I noticed my wifi device was down.

Code:
     $ sudo lshw -C network; lsb_release -a; uname -a; sudo iwlist scan | egrep 'chan | sid'
        *-network UNCLAIMED     
             description: Network controller
             product: RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
             vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
             version: 01
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fbefc000-fbefffff
        *-network UNCLAIMED
             description: Ethernet controller
             product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
             version: 03
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list
             resources: ioport:be00(size=256) memory:fbaff000-fbafffff memory:fbaf8000-fbafbfff memory:fbb00000-fbb1ffff
        *-network UNCLAIMED
             description: Ethernet controller
             product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
             version: 03
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list
             resources: ioport:ae00(size=256) memory:fb8ff000-fb8fffff memory:fb8f8000-fb8fbfff memory:fb900000-fb91ffff
        *-network DISABLED
             description: Ethernet interface
             physical id: 1
             logical name: virbr0-nic
             serial: 52:54:00:2b:2f:a7
             size: 10Mbit/s
             capabilities: ethernet physical
             configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=tun driverversion=1.6 duplex=full link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
      LSB Version:   core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
      Description:     Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
      Release:           16.04
      Codename:      xenial
      Linux GA-X58A-UD7 4.13.0-45-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 30 11:18:27 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

virbr0-nic  Interface doesn't support scanning.

virbr0    Interface doesn't support scanning.
    Last edited by crazybear; December 6th, 2019 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

OK, I ran

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/blacklist r8169/#blacklist r8169/' /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    again, rebooted [had forgotten that was necessary when I panicked], and all are claimed again and I have internet again.
    My question, however, is why did that happen and if it was the addition of a new kernel? They come regularly. Will I have to do this each time I get and install a new one?...and I still have to go to terminal each time
    and tell the computer to look for the repeater's SSID to connect [sometimes more than just at the beginning of a session] - as I have NO network manager. It is shown as installed, but I can not find it nor get it to open using terminal..... So, I have a 'solution', but not a good nor easy one. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am not familiar with that DE you are using so I cannot help much with network manager. The blacklist was the result of commands you ran back early in this topic and somehow the replacement driver disappeared and the kernel module was still blacklisted resulting in unclaimed status

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910