Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to work

Beans

Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to work

I have installed an ASUS PCE-AC51. It uses a Realtek RTL8812AE chip. I found the newest linux driver for it and thought I built it correctly....but when I do an analysis on it [or more bluntly try to connect to the internet], I find I'm far, far from where I need to be. I'm NO expert in networking nor in building complex drivers [and this is complex!]. I see other threads somewhat related, but I do not find the answers I need on them. Would some kind person 'out there in Linux land' PLEASE help me through this. I need internet and am only contacting you now by using Windows which I detest and never use - with good reason. My very mean landlord cut off my LAN internet cable, as we are in Court over many issues. There is a strong enough wifi signal coming through my window from somewhere else, but I can NOT get this wifi adapter to work. HELP! Please! Thanks in advance.

I will try to post the last diagnostic information I have, if it tells you anything....I only get a few hints that the computer knows what I know....it is not working [but WHY, I don't know - nor what I would have to do to make it work].

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/4Nf7fzbgbd/ my diagnostic information!!!!
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; November 16th, 2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Language

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

Is it a viable option to buy a usb wifi dongle just to add some flexibility? There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum with buying advice. I think I'd put one on order (they're about $15.00) if I were in your shoes just to give myself options. Unfortunately, there's no guarantees that things will go swimmingly even if you do throw new hardware at your hardware problem.

I think that's all I can add right now. There are champs at troubleshooting these interface issues in the forum, but I'm not one of them...

Cheers,
    jetsam

Beans

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    Is it a viable option to buy a usb wifi dongle just to add some flexibility? There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum with buying advice. I think I'd put one on order (they're about $15.00) if I were in your shoes just to give myself options. Unfortunately, there's no guarantees that things will go swimmingly even if you do throw new hardware at your hardware problem.

I think that's all I can add right now. There are champs at troubleshooting these interface issues in the forum, but I'm not one of them...

Cheers,
    jetsam
    I'd be very hesitant to get another one. I have one from a phone provider, but its program ONLY works with Mac and Windoz...typical. I spent a LOT of money on this that is now in my machine, and I'm poor.....so hoping someone can help out and I don't have to keep buying things that don't work...I've already gone through three...each more expensive than the one before - each claiming more to be 'Linux-compatible'....and I'm sure it is if one is a genius at building drivers and networking complexities. Since I started to mess around with this, the desktop which once did get wifi with the provided windows drivers [on CD] NOW doesn't get any internet by wifi. The lousy USB dongle here in an East European country where all the providers are cheats [in more than one way], costs me a fortune for lousy and slow internet. No thanks. SOMEONE, please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We see these interesting points in your diagnostics:

##### NetworkManager.state ##############

[main]
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=false
    WWANEnabled=false
    WimaxEnabled=true
    As well as:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: yes
    Hard blocked: no
    And finally:

##### network managers ##################

Installed:

NetworkManager
    Wicd
    As far as I know, given 109 years of experience in Linux wireless, Wicd does nothing whatever better than the default Network Manager. It is typically installed as a guess as to what might fix the as yet undiagnosed wireless issue. It almost never does.

I suggest that you remove it:

Code:
    sudo apt -get purge wicd*
    Reboot.

Click the Network Manager icon and select 'Enable Wi-Fi`. Your wireless should now be working.

The correct driver appears to be installed and working properly.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I did remove wicd*, but hope you know what you are suggesting. There was a message I didn't get fully that said ' X will no longer work until you reinstall wicd]. However, I still have NO internet! Also, I have NO IDEA how to 'Enable Wifi" and a command line command might be best. I have NO Network Manager symbol nor can I find it listed in programs.....thus, I do NOT know how to 'enable wifi'

Beans

Check out this thread. I haven't read it all the way through, but the user was having issues with the Realtek 8812 and got it working. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2431438
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Try
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
    sudo sed -i 's/WirelessEnabled=false/WirelessEnabled=true/' /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    sudo rfkill unblock all
    systemctl enable network-manager.service
    systemctl start network-manager.service

Beans

This is very frustrating.....and network structure is a nightmare and complex beyond what it should be!
    Also, I have to turn off my computer; remove the Ubuntu disk; put in the Windows disk; start the computer and come here......
    what did wicd do and was removing really a correct move?
    I see MANY different suggestions that seem mutually exclusive on the internet and I'm very confused.
    I see a nmcli wifi on command and others and sometimes nmcli with r or -g after a space
    I tried sudo ifconfig [device logical name] up and it says [I think] it is 'up', but I get no wifi and no packets go up nor down - zip.

Someone please help....

Code:
     :~$ iwconfig
      wlp4s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
                Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
                Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
                Power Management:on

wwx001e101f0000  no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

virbr0-nic  no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

virbr0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

$ sudo ifconfig wlp4s0 up

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
      $ nmcli r all on
      ~$ sudo ifconfig wlp4s0 up
      ~$ iwconfig
      wlp4s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
                Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=30 dBm   
                Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
                Power Management:on

wwx001e101f0000  no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

virbr0-nic  no wireless extensions.

eth1      no wireless extensions.

virbr0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

~$ sudo lshw -C network; lsb_release -a; uname -a; sudo rfkill list; sudo iwlist scan | egrep 'chan|sid'
        *-network               
             description: Wireless interface
             product: RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
             vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
             logical name: wlp4s0
             version: 01
             serial: 04:d4:c4:13:c1:51
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
             configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8821ae driverversion=4.15.0-55-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
             resources: irq:40 ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fbefc000-fbefffff
        *-network
             description: Ethernet interface
             product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
             logical name: eth1
             version: 03
             serial: 00:24:1d:ce:b6:64
             size: 10Mbit/s
             capacity: 1Gbit/s
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
             configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
             resources: irq:16 ioport:be00(size=256) memory:fbaff000-fbafffff memory:fbaf8000-fbafbfff memory:fbb00000-fbb1ffff
        *-network
             product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
             logical name: eth0
             version: 03
             serial: 00:24:1d:ce:b6:66
             capacity: 1Gbit/s
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
             configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
             resources: irq:17 ioport:ae00(size=256) memory:fb8ff000-fb8fffff memory:fb8f8000-fb8fbfff memory:fb900000-fb91ffff
        *-network:0 DISABLED
             physical id: 1
             logical name: wwx001e101f0000
             serial: 00:1e:10:1f:00:00
             capabilities: ethernet physical
             configuration: broadcast=yes driver=huawei_cdc_ncm driverversion=22-Aug-2005 firmware=Huawei CDC NCM device link=no multicast=yes
        *-network:1 DISABLED
             physical id: 2
             logical name: virbr0-nic
             serial: 52:54:00:2b:2f:a7
             capabilities: ethernet physical
             configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=tun driverversion=1.6 duplex=full link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
      LSB Version:   core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
      Description:     Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
      Release:           16.04
      Codename:      xenial
      Linux 4.15.0-55-generic #60~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 4 09:03:09 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      0: phy0: Wireless LAN
                  Soft blocked: no
                  Hard blocked: no
      wwx001e101f0000  Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

virbr0-nic  Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

virbr0    Interface doesn't support scanning.

lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
    Last edited by Irihapeti; November 17th, 2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: language

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let folks here help... Try to follow their instructions closely, and hopefully you'll get a good result. The internet has contradictory advice about everything, not just troublesome wifi issues...

Reducing frustration in the thick of things is tough. Breaks help, even long ones if need be. The pacing of forum advice can frustrate efforts to help, so it's best to pick a few experienced posters and stick with them. You have four experts at different aspects of networking in your thread, so have no fear We're usually pretty good at not jumping into a working kitchen and confusing the cooks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

network structure is a nightmare and complex beyond what it should be!
    I disagree entirely. Ordinarily, if a driver is present, Network Manager shows a little pop-up that indicates that there are wireless networks available and invites you to connect. The fact that you see no NM icon is not an issue with networking in Ubuntu; it is a rare case where there is an issue with your specific installation.

I have NO Network Manager symbol nor can I find it listed in programs..
    Let's see if we can get it to appear; from the terminal:

Code:
    nm-applet &
    Any luck?

Code:
    I get no wifi and no packets go up nor down - zip.
    Network Manager isn't going to decide, without input from you, which of the perhaps dozens of networks to connect to, nor is it going to conjure up the WPA2 password.

If you now see the NM icon, click it and try to connect. If not, try:

Code:
    nmcli device wifi rescan
    nmcli device wifi list
    nmcli device wifi connect SSID-Name password wireless-password
    Did you connect?

After you connect, we shall try to solve the mystery of the missing NM icon.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast