Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to work

Beans

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

-snip- will replace with new one shortly

The strangest things are happening...sometimes I will get good internet connection, other times there is none!
    Last edited by crazybear; November 29th, 2019 at 05:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

I might have found something
    Code:
    cd /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
    sudo wget https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw.bin
    sudo wget https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/rtlwifi/rtl8812aefw_wowlan.bin
    Reboot, you can also try disabling the kernel module power management with
    Code:
    echo "options rtl8821ae ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf
    This firmware has been released about 6 weeks ago https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...4001fc7afff7a5

Beans

Right now, sometimes I get internet [and it is good]; other times I get zero - and never know nor can I see what causes the change. It is driving me insane - and still having to go back to the Windoz disk to even type this.
    I will run another analytical on the system.....

The new firmware I downloaded - but haven't the faintest idea of what or how to deal with it and wouldn't without specific step-by-step instructions. Besides, I use the rtl8821ae driver. Isn't this for the other?
    Last edited by crazybear; November 29th, 2019 at 07:00 AM.

Beans

to your suggested command all got in response was
    Code:
    rtl8821ae ips=N

- nothing more to
    Code:

Code:
    echo "options rtl8821ae ips=N" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ae.conf
    Last edited by crazybear; November 29th, 2019 at 07:03 AM.

Beans

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/4cpjhCXPnn/

Is the latest. At the moment, for reasons unknown, I again have internet in Ubuntu.

Oh, by the way, each time I have to go into terminal and tell it to connect to the preferred AP. There must be a way to have it do that automatically, but how I don't know. Would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
    Right now, sometimes I get internet [and it is good]; other times I get zero - and never know nor can I see what causes the change. It is driving me insane - and still having to go back to the Windoz disk to even type this.
    I will run another analytical on the system.....

The new firmware I downloaded - but haven't the faintest idea of what or how to deal with it and wouldn't without specific step-by-step instructions. Besides, I use the rtl8821ae driver. Isn't this for the other?
    Your device just uses the rtl8821ae driver but it is a rtl8812ae chipset and that is why it needs that firmware. To auto connect to wifi, go into Network Manager connections and set one to automatically connect when in range

Beans

OK, thanks, now I understand why I would need the firmware update - but looking in the package I have no idea how to install the firmware - guidance gladly appreciated. It contains a long list of devices, but not mine and even if ASUS was listed, I wouldn't know what to do.

Way back at the start of this long thread I mentioned I have no Network Manager that is supposed to be 'there', so there is no setting for connect automatically...... How to re-install Network Manager? I think long ago there was one. All I have is something called Netspeed preferences which is not very good. Addendum....stranger still, in Synaptic it shows several files installed when I put 'Network Manager' in the search box....but I can't find it nor can I launch it from terminal.
    Last edited by crazybear; November 29th, 2019 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Do you have an icon in the notification area/taskbar for wifi/ethernet? That normally can be left/right clicked for options such as editing network connections

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    Do you have an icon in the notification area/taskbar for wifi/ethernet? That normally can be left/right clicked for options such as editing network connections
    No. I remember there was one in my earlier versions of Ubuntu, but think not in 16.04 for me. There is just an area of up and down arrows and I can have it show the number of bytes or bits up and down. No other setting other than what it monitors [LAN 1, LAN 2, this wifi device it is now set on, etc.] I always connected before by LAN, so it was never an issue. Now it is. Another thing that is happening strangely - when I do get internet in Ubuntu it is quite good; but it sometimes just stops [even though the netspeed monitor - which I have to right click where those arrows are to make appear] shows a LOT of bytes going up and down as before.....and the connection is not reported as lost - but something is blocking somewhere. It can happen without opening any new program or window or doing anything. Other times it does seem [maybe] connected to opening a new program/browser - but often not.

How do I apply this new firmware that I downloaded? - and do you think it will make any difference? I'm NO expert at all, but I don't think it would explain the on sometimes off sometimes connection to the internet while the packets are still flowing - but who knows......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The new firmware should be in use as the driver will load it if it is found in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
    The last script result you posted shows that the wifi switched between the router and the extender device, it might be worth shutting the extender off
    See if network-manager-gnome is installed

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast