Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to work

Beans

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    OK. Tomorrow morning, then.

Ubuntu can't distribute the drivers we were trying to compile because they are closed source and proprietary... They're taken from Windows installations, then "wrapped" by special code that lets them communicate with Linux...

Talk to you later,
    --jetsam
    I'm here off and on today and likely tomorrow, but woke up frustrated - see the above comment to see why. In setting up the repeater, I have made things worse, not better. logging on to the repeater is an hour long nightmare. Once in it, it is NOT clear what needs to be done and what will cause more problems. Usually after making changes the entire screen locks up and I just say *** it and give up for some hours.

I don't understand what makes you think the Ubuntu drivers I built are not the most recent or incorrectly built. I don't want to do needless activity [which is all I have been doing up to now].
    Last edited by crazybear; November 23rd, 2019 at 09:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

Two architectures:

This is the one I was hoping would work:
    Code:
    PC--->ethernet cable---->repeater---->wifi---->wifi router---->internet
    This is the one you started this thread trying to make work:
    Code:
    PC--->wifi adapter--->wifi--->wifi router--->internet
    Architecture #1 means giving the repeater your network wifi credentials through its admin page. Apparently something is going wrong at that point, but it's hard for me to add anything helpful... I don't understand where the configuration is going wrong.

Architecture #2 I believe means going back to post #24 and #34 of this thread and picking up where you left off. Post #34 by praseodym:
    Download it via Windows and transfer it via USB (somehow)
    refers to #24:
    Haven't read through anything, but your LAN-NIC is Realtek 8168. Download this file and save it in "Downloads":

http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...7.02-1_all.deb

Installation
    ... and it continues on from there.

That's where we are.

--------

Is there anything on FAQ page of the Strong support site for your repeater that helps at all?
    https://www.strong.tv/en/products/repeater/repeater750

One complication that may be confusing you:
    Before the installation, the default IP address of Dual Band Repeater 750 is 192.168.10.1.After the installation, Dual Band Repeater 750 obtains its IP address from your router. Please login to the management interface of your router and check the IP address that is assigned to your Dual Band Repeater 750.
    But after the repeater is connected to wifi, you should be able to connect to the web admin interface most easily through:
    Last edited by jetsam; November 23rd, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    Two architectures:

This is the one I was hoping would work:
    Code:
    PC--->ethernet cable---->repeater---->wifi---->wifi router---->internet
    This is the one you started this thread trying to make work:
    Code:
    PC--->wifi adapter--->wifi--->wifi router--->internet
    Architecture #1 means giving the repeater your network wifi credentials through its admin page. Apparently something is going wrong at that point, but it's hard for me to add anything helpful... I don't understand where the configuration is going wrong.

Architecture #2 I believe means going back to post #24 and #34 of this thread and picking up where you left off. Post #34 by praseodym:

refers to #24:

... and it continues on from there.

That's where we are.
    No, not exactly so. I believe I turned off the wifi adapter, but nothing changed. I can try that again. There are just so many variables and likely the repeater is not set up correctly [the page was as clear as mud as to how to set it up and kept freezing up anyway]. I can't keep switching back and forth from one project to the other and back and then back again. I'm running out of time. I need to pick one and make it work or....I don't know what. I'm not doing this to watch the news or play games or any such. Let me try again turning off the wifi adapter.... too many variables [two OS; three+ ways to access internet; many configurations; many problems with each of these named, so not too easy to find the problem[s]......
    Last edited by crazybear; November 23rd, 2019 at 01:41 PM.

Beans

Stranger than strange! I [thought] I finally got it connected - first on the Windoz disk and then on the Ubuntu disk. The Ubuntu disk had not been updated in a LOOONG time and I updated it with several things...and now, without touching/changing anything [as far as I'm aware], I'm only able to get on the internet with the USB device, as before.
    While the speed when it was connected was not blinding fast, it was OK....but now..... what the hell is going on here? I don't get it. I had found how to reset the wifi device and struggled again to get to the setup page and tried some new combination of what is not explained well [ha!] in the pictures only 'manual'. It worked for a while....and now....????!??!!!

If I get on again in the Ubuntu disk, what should I update? I could have before.....now, I can't but will try again in the morning. It was all working for many hours....now not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

See the wireless script link in my signature so that we can see current results

Beans

Can anyone download the [horrible] 'photo-instructions' and help me.....I have tried perhaps 30+ times many different ways - taking up 20 hours of time, with only about 2 hours of success, which spontaneously ended and I don't remember the formula of things I did to get there. Also, If I ever get back online in Ubuntu, what can I do to get the ASUS driver to work. I have spent money and all too much time and frustration...and have made no progress, sadly. I'm exhausted and will soon give up - as I have urgent things I must do and this is taking away from those tasks. I'll give it another day or two....then give up. Please help...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    See the wireless script link in my signature so that we can see current results
    That takes having internet. I do NOT! Only in Windoz - NOT in Ubuntu. Sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You'll have to download the script using Windows, then save to a drive accessible by both OSes, then run it in ubuntu, then save to that same drive, then use Windows to upload the output.

Notice I spell Windows properly?
    Cheers & Beers, uRock

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you still have the wireless script on your computer and it is in your home folder like it should be then just run this command:
    Code:
    ./wireless-info
    it will create the text file in your home folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Some commands to check
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
    Does the wifi device show a kernel driver in use?
    Code:
    rfkill list
    Does it show a hard or soft block on wifi?
    Code:
    cat /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    Does it show
    Code:
    [main]
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=true
    Or does it show false?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast