Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to work

Beans

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Check out this thread. I haven't read it all the way through, but the user was having issues with the Realtek 8812 and got it working. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2431438
    That thread has almost zero connection with my system or devices...different in almost all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I disagree entirely. Ordinarily, if a driver is present, Network Manager shows a little pop-up that indicates that there are wireless networks available and invites you to connect. The fact that you see no NM icon is not an issue with networking in Ubuntu; it is a rare case where there is an issue with your specific installation.

Let's see if we can get it to appear; from the terminal:

Code:
    nm-applet &
    Any luck?

Code:
    I get no wifi and no packets go up nor down - zip.
    Network Manager isn't going to decide, without input from you, which of the perhaps dozens of networks to connect to, nor is it going to conjure up the WPA2 password.

If you now see the NM icon, click it and try to connect. If not, try:

Code:
    nmcli device wifi rescan
    nmcli device wifi list
    nmcli device wifi connect SSID-Name password wireless-password
    Did you connect?

After you connect, we shall try to solve the mystery of the missing NM icon.
    OK, good news and bad news.... I was able to see the list of available wifi signals and connect to one... the bad news is still no NM icon and the signal apparently is too weak [57dB] to do anything....I can't even get emails. I had had a HUGE dish antenna here, but now it is far away....wish I had it now.)

To the person who gave me the powersave command. I ran it and then realized you likely thought I had a laptop. I do NOT have a laptop - it is a HUGE desktop with a HUGE powersupply - so I hope I'm not throttling the wifi adapter. Is there a command to undo the powersave command you gave?

So, I guess in theory now I can connect, but the signal while not to my memory so weak as to work, is not 'working'....even though it is connecting.

Sigh.

I moved the computer as close to the window as possible in winter. Now I get 54-56 dB. As I remember from the distant past when I also had to use wifi, that should be sufficient if not spectacular; yet NO program gets any packets of information. Could something be interfering between the wifi adapter and the programs?! Anyway to find out? Maybe this is just an expensive and bad wifi adapter - but others who bought it for Linux said it worked for them.... I note that is also does NOT work in Windoz which which it came with drivers on CD..but I'm NOT going to even bother with that, just wanted to note that here. In Windoz I have the very expensive and very poor quality internet via a mobile providers USB dongle...but it ONLY works with Windoz and is priced at an insane price for service. I don't want to pay so much NOR use Windoz.

Found this on the internet: So it DOES seem something is blocking the incoming wifi signal from getting to my programs. ANY IDEAS what it is and how to get rid of it?!?!?
    Signal Strength Expected Quality Required For
    -30 dBm Maximum signal strength, you are probably standing right next to the access point.
    -50 dBm Anything down to this level can be considered excellent signal strength.

-60 dBm Good, reliable signal strength.
    Last edited by howefield; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Have NO internet! Can not get new wifi adapter [supposedly Linux-friendly] to wor

In Windoz I have the very expensive and very poor quality internet via a mobile providers USB dongle...but it ONLY works with Windoz and is priced at an insane price for service. I don't want to pay so much NOR use Windoz.
    ...Are you on Android and do you have a reasonable data cap? We might be able to work on an alternative way for you to tether to your mobile phone. If so, see this thread at the end:
    Re: Options for maintaining connectivity when the power is cut?

Back to the original question. The electronics internal to your adapter have an impact on the signal strength and how well that signal is interpreted into bits. It's difficult to quantify, involves signal to noise ratios and noise floors and a lot of engineering we have no means of knowing specifically, so it isn't very relevant. You should be able to improve the situation practically by getting a better antenna, moving to a better reception spot, and (possibly) reducing high frequency noise nearby. One way to do this is to completely unplug any switching power supplies that you don't need: turn off all the led light bulbs in the area. Also, all the "wall wart" power supplies you aren't using are producing high frequencies. They're supposed to keep this stuff to a minimum, but it can't hurt to pull the plug just as a test. Basically any modern AC to DC converter could very well be interfering at least somewhat with your weak signal.

Cheers,
    jetsam

Edited to add: Line of sight is relevant at wifi frequencies as well. It may be worth thinking about if you know at least vaguely where the signal is coming from.
    Last edited by jetsam; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    ...Are you on Android and do you have a reasonable data cap? We might be able to work on an alternative way for you to tether to your mobile phone. If so, see this thread at the end:
    Re: Options for maintaining connectivity when the power is cut?

Back to the original question. The electronics internal to your adapter have an impact on the signal strength and how well that signal is interpreted into bits. It's difficult to quantify, involves signal to noise ratios and noise floors and a lot of engineering we have no means of knowing specifically, so it isn't very relevant. You should be able to improve the situation practically by getting a better antenna, moving to a better reception spot, and (possibly) reducing high frequency noise nearby. One way to do this is to completely unplug any switching power supplies that you don't need: turn off all the led light bulbs in the area. Also, all the "wall wart" power supplies you aren't using are producing high frequencies. They're supposed to keep this stuff to a minimum, but it can't hurt to pull the plug just as a test. Basically any modern AC to DC converter could very well be interfering at least somewhat with your weak signal.
    Cheers,
    jetsam
    Yes, there is one AC/DC converter about two meters away and the usual cables into the back of a desktop computer. Strangely, my tablet which is only a few cm closer to the source of the wifi signal than the two antennas on this ASUS internal gets good reception from the same wifi source...the ASUS doesn't get anything usable, but a rating of -54 to -56 dB. I don't get it. No, I can not use my tablet and don't have a smartphone for what you were thinking of....sorry. For security reasons I don't have a sim in the tablet and it is only getting this wifi signal. I have special security needs I can't discuss.
    Last edited by crazybear; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't get it.
    I don't think anybody does, to be honest. I have never adjusted an antenna without finding the whole thing mysterious and ending up with the antenna at some strange angle not at all where it ought to be by rights. I think even the Ham radio guys, who spend years on antennas, essentially budget and design them, then put them as high as they can get them, and finally, futz around with position and orientation, swearing at them all the while... just like the rest of us

Beans

There were two AC/DC converters, but unplugged there was NO difference - so that is not it. Unplugging various wires [all necessary] in the back panel of the computer also had no effect. I have tried to move around the antennas, but it only very slightly changes the dB level, but NOT the seemingly total lack of connectivity to ANY program that uses internet. I remember many years ago using a wifi signal of this strength without problem.
    I suspect, but am NO expert on this, that something is blocking the signal to ALL programs. What could it be? Again, the tablet is on foot closer to the window outside of which some meters away is the AP - and it gets reasonable wifi reception..I can watch streaming video, etc. Any ideas appreciated. I have lightning fast cable internet, but my landlords cut it [we are in Court against each other on 'issues']....and I need internet for 'normal things' and to find a new place to live and am unable to do either much at all...relying on the tablet for news and a little [very little] of the above.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I suspect, but am NO expert on this, that something is blocking the signal to ALL programs.
    ...that would be something else entirely, a configuration problem or some such... Chili is probably your best bet if such is the case.

Yeah... the AC/DC adapter stuff is a bit of a stretch. Most computer power supplies are pretty well shielded, and anything certified shouldn't be releasing so much radio energy that it makes much difference. Stuff to look out for would be things like dodgy usb wall chargers from anonymous manufacturers, possibly cheap led light bulbs which contain a dc adapter hidden in their bases. They may not be making any effort to shield the world from their noise, because it would cost money to do so.

I guess I might suggest using your feet at this point. If you could find a temporary office somewhere, even if it's in a friend's closet or the basement of a university library or in your car parked outside a local cafe... It would be nice to see whether your set-up is working or not in the presence of a stronger signal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

dmesg output shows a firewall blocking. Lets try

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ufw gufw
    sudo iptables -t filter -n -L -v
    sudo iptables -F
    sudo iptables -X

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    ...that would be something else entirely, a configuration problem or some such... Chili is probably your best bet if such is the case.

Yeah... the AC/DC adapter stuff is a bit of a stretch. Most computer power supplies are pretty well shielded, and anything certified shouldn't be releasing so much radio energy that it makes much difference. Stuff to look out for would be things like dodgy usb wall chargers from anonymous manufacturers, possibly cheap led light bulbs which contain a dc adapter hidden in their bases. They may not be making any effort to shield the world from their noise, because it would cost money to do so.

I guess I might suggest using your feet at this point. If you could find a temporary office somewhere, even if it's in a friend's closet or the basement of a university library or in your car parked outside a local cafe... It would be nice to see whether your set-up is working or not in the presence of a stronger signal.
    What is Chili? [and please remember without internet, I can not download anything not already in my system]. This DESKTOP computer is NOT going to be moved anywhere - and if I could [and I can't], there would be no point. I have one place [this window] that has a wifi signal I can use. I am home [also my office] and there is no other place, nor is this giant possible to move. It aint' gonna happen..... I think we can discount any interference; it would be effecting the tablet getting its signal and it is not. The tablet and the back of the computer are now 30 cm away from one another. One works on the wifi signal just fine, the other doesn't work on the wifi signal at all. I'm guessing that the ASUS [which cost about $150] and its two large 14cm antenna have better wifi 'gathering' ability than my Samsung tablet.
    Last edited by crazybear; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did you try the firewall removal commands posted by praseodym? If you have your firewall configured to block all your traffic, it would give the symptoms you've described.

All the other suggestions I've made are just suggestions. Sometimes there's an easier way to work around a problem than directly assaulting it. Not always, and it's sometimes better to find the root cause of an issue anyway. Anyways, we're making progress... slowly.

I think you should try the firewall commands and report back.

By Chili I meant Chili555, the forum user who helped a few posts above. He's one of the champs at troubleshooting network interfaces I mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by jetsam; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    dmesg output shows a firewall blocking. Lets try

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ufw gufw
    sudo iptables -t filter -n -L -v
    sudo iptables -F
    sudo iptables -X
    Just tried that.....no improvement...but what did I do? I wish such things would be explained, so I can reverse things if needed.
    Only a trickle of packets coming in our out - as before - not enough to get email or run any webbrowser. Even skype which needs very little doesn't work.

Ideas?

This computer worked for seven years just fine on a high-speed LAN line, until my horrible landlords I'm in Court with cut the line....leaving me struggling the past three months to get internet!....this is a long long struggle and not there yet. In fact with windoz I can only barely get it at very high cost here; with Ubuntu can't get it at all - and in the past I never touched Windoz, this is an OLD disk I had around from before I discovered Linux about 15 years ago.

Code:
     $ sudo lshw -C network; lsb_release -a; uname -a; sudo rfkill list; sudo iwlist scan | egrep 'chan|sid'
        *-network               
             description: Wireless interface
             product: RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
             vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
             logical name: wlp4s0
             version: 01
             serial: 04:d4:c4:13:c1:51
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
             configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8821ae driverversion=4.15.0-55-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.29 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
             resources: irq:40 ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fbefc000-fbefffff
        *-network
             description: Ethernet interface
             product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
             logical name: eth1
             version: 03
             serial: 00:24:1d:ce:b6:64
             size: 10Mbit/s
             capacity: 1Gbit/s
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
             configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
             resources: irq:16 ioport:be00(size=256) memory:fbaff000-fbafffff memory:fbaf8000-fbafbfff memory:fbb00000-fbb1ffff
        *-network
             product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
             logical name: eth0
             version: 03
             serial: 00:24:1d:ce:b6:66
             capacity: 1Gbit/s
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
             configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
             resources: irq:17 ioport:ae00(size=256) memory:fb8ff000-fb8fffff memory:fb8f8000-fb8fbfff memory:fb900000-fb91ffff
        *-network DISABLED
             physical id: 1
             logical name: virbr0-nic
             serial: 52:54:00:2b:2f:a7
             capabilities: ethernet physical
             configuration: autonegotiation=off broadcast=yes driver=tun driverversion=1.6 duplex=full link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
      LSB Version:   core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
      Description:     Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
      Release:           16.04
      Codename:      xenial
      Linux  4.15.0-55-generic #60~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 4 09:03:09 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      0: phy0: Wireless LAN
                  Soft blocked: no
                  Hard blocked: no
      eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning.

virbr0-nic  Interface doesn't support scanning.

lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

virbr0    Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
    Last edited by crazybear; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:34 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast