Thread: Trying to install WiFi Drivers, got weird error.

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Trying to install WiFi Drivers, got weird error.

EDIT: Just realized this isn't much of an issue as I just realized this is a bit overkill so I stuck with the out-of-the-box drivers.

I am trying to install more compatible drivers for my WiFi, which worked OK out of the box, but not as good as it could have. Ubuntu recommended I installed backport-iwlwifi-dkms so I did via apt. While installing, it seemed to error out in the console log and referenced this log file.

The only error I see in the log file is:
    Code:
    /var/lib/dkms/backport-iwlwifi/7906/build/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/utils.c: In function ‘iwl_mvm_get_sync_time’:

/var/lib/dkms/backport-iwlwifi/7906/build/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/utils.c:1468:14:  error: implicit declaration of function ‘ktime_get_boot_ns’; did you  mean ‘ktime_get_raw_ns’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

1468 |  *boottime = ktime_get_boot_ns();
           |              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
           |              ktime_get_raw_ns
       CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/backport-iwlwifi/7906/build/net/mac80211/scan.o
     cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
     make[9]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:290:  /var/lib/dkms/backport-iwlwifi/7906/build/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/mvm/utils.o]  Error 1
    I don't exactly know what this means, but with my minor C experience it seems more like a warning than an error, and I don't know if this prevented it from fully compiling or not. Am I safe to reboot my system and use this driver/module?
    Last edited by bsykes3487; November 16th, 2019 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Just realized I was fine.