Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 GUI not working after upgrade

Beans

Ubuntu 16.04 GUI not working after upgrade

So I had a 14.04 on a computer I don't really use anymore, today I did the upgrade dist, took a couple hours, everything seemed fine.
    At the end it asked me to reboot, as expected. Upon reboot I get this

https://i.imgur.com/DGPW4gl.jpg

I had to reset as nothing seemed to respond. After starting up I get this screen now

https://i.imgur.com/QPe6orT.jpg
    a CTRL ALT F2 gives me the expected terminal-like thing, which seemed to work fine and made me think it's just the GUI that's the problem.

But then I tried to do a sudo apt-get update, which didn't work either and gave me
    https://i.imgur.com/RjaCOTC.jpg

so maybe it's a bigger problem?

It would be a major inconvenience if I had to wipe the partition and do a clean install, so any and all help is appreciated.
    Last edited by uRock; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:02 PM. Reason: Use paperclip icon to upload images to ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 GUI not working after upgrade

Hi, welcome to the fora.

I understand that a clean install of 18.04 or 19.10 might take some time if you have a complicated setup. On the other hand:

Your post has been sitting for 20 hours without getting an answer. If you get one after X hours of additional waiting the solution may or may not work. If it does you will be running 16.04 and some day in the future you will have to repeat the process in order to get to a more recent release. We don't know wheter that will be smooth sailing or if problems are going to reappear.

I tend to go for a clean install in these cases.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

+1 to mrgs.

Furthermore, you didn't really use that 14.04 system anymore, so it can't be that valuable. You may have some valuable data on it, but that's all backed up, right? I suggest a fresh install of 18.04 or 19.10. Normally I don't recommend to install interim releases, but both of them are just a single upgrade away from the next LTS release.

Two of the screenshots you provided clearly indicate file system problems. Formatting the partition and making a fresh install should fix that. Unless your hard drive is broken, which isn't unlikely.

Beans

Thanks for the advice. I've backed up all the files.
    Problem is that I have Telegram and Skype on there, with histories that go back to 2014 and I'm not sure those are able to get backed up in any way.
    It won't be the end of the world if I lose them, but it would be worth it to spend a couple extra hours to try and preserve.

Also, and this is more philosophical than anything, I like the idea of every problem being solvable.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Even if you manage to upgrade you will need a backup of the two sets of data. Better to do it before attempting.

At least for Skype it looks easy: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3...d-chat-history
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I just saw this post.
    If you're still watching this.

Can you get to the graphic login screen?
    Does the error appear after you login or before?

I'm not sure why you system is trying to load website on reboot. That is pretty odd. Do you know why that happens?
    It is likely something left over from you 14.04 installation.

Since you can get to a terminal session I'd suggest trying to run
    Code:
    startx
    and see what happens.

You might also try adding another user and logging into that user to get to a gui.

I suspect your problem is with the user set up.