Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what? No Windows Sub-forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: what? No Windows Sub-forum?

I would definitely recommend NoScript if it weren't for the fact that some friends would not know how to white list the web sites they visit often. I know that many of us see it as a drop-dead simple method of clicking on the NoScript icon at the bottom and whitelisting the domain, but you'd be surprised what technical knowhow (lack thereof) your friends may have when you fix their boxes for them.

With Privoxy I typically set up a quite loose user.action file with several typical sites whitelisted including those they usually visit (I usually ask). If it's too much trouble for them, I'll leave Privoxy off in FF but keep it in MSIE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's the real problem, though, isn't it? There's a delicate balance between security and convenience, and most users tend to err on the side of convenience.

I don't really see it as that big a deal to whitelist sites I visit often... as once they're whitelisted, they are forever until you change the settings. My wife, on the other hand, finds it annoying, so she doesn't use NoScript. If she were using Windows, I'd be a bit more concerned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

And why do you want one?

ps nice avatar!
    Isn't it sad when the only way to tell if someone is a christan by their signature?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234