Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development Version Security?

Beans

Development Version Security?

Is there any difference in the level of security between the development version and the point release for patches and updates?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Development Version Security?

AFIK ,kernel related security would be the same and there are no open ports by default. Using a development release as a daily driver is not a good idea. There are many issues that could be cause to reinstall during the development cycle. 3rd party and PPA software may not work or be incompatible and even native packages can break after updates.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks Frog

Broken packages is ok , i was more concerned if development of the software was more important than the security.
    Last edited by Ice-Tea; November 14th, 2019 at 02:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is called the bleeding edge for a reason.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    It is called the bleeding edge for a reason.

I've read your post a couple of times and i don't understand how that explains if the Canonical developers release the Devel version with the same level of effort of security as the point release or if they leave it with standard default upstream settings for the testers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I too don't believe there is a difference between focal (development) and stable (eoan or older) with regards security. Development still has -proposed, which from my observations is the same (testing & procedure wise before it makes it into release repos), though making changes into the stable (released) release repositories does require the SRU which I gather is a load more work that is avoided if possible (ie. unless necessary).

This box was switched to 'development' (now 20.04) late in the 17.10 cycle (ie. before 17.10's release), and any 'problems' have been extremely minor (I can't recall any anyway; even with -proposed packages though I don't usually use them unless asked to test for something specific).

Note: I'm not a developer & thus this is my opinion from observation.

Beans

Thanks , i had a good search at google but i couldn't find anything on the subject.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New is the enemy of stable and secure.

Beans

I still don't understand what that has to do with Ubuntu's security configuration policy on the development branch before it goes public for testing but thanks for sharing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lucap2 View Post
    I still don't understand what that has to do with Ubuntu's security configuration policy on the development branch before it goes public for testing but thanks for sharing.
    I read it as a question about real-world security in using software that hasn't been tested together in a complete system but is used as production software. Often, there are huge issues in pre-production software. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast