Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20.04 - Best Ubuntu Ever?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

20.04 - Best Ubuntu Ever?

Looks like 20.04 is shaping up to be the best Ubuntu ever.

If you follow the changes that have been made from 18.04 -> 18.10, 18.10 -> 19.04, and 19.04 -> 19.10... the next release may just be the best yet.

My only problem is every time a LTS comes out, I tell myself that I am just going to wait for the next LTS, but seem to upgrade to the interim releases anyway...
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: 20.04 - Best Ubuntu Ever?

Happy to hear you are pleased this far along with 20.04.
    14.04 UbuntuMATE was my favourite release to date.
    Have not had the same experience/enjoyment since. Other Distros splendid.
    BTW: I'm known for being a tad bit persnickety. LOL
    Last edited by 1fallen; November 14th, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I normally stay on LTS releases, but my new Ryzen 3 2200G (16 GB) caused me to move to 19.04 to get the newest drivers. The latest release of ZFS 0.8.1 in Ubuntu 19.10 caused me to upgrade to 19.10.
    I'm easy, I like each Ubuntu release and many flavors too. I use many Ubuntus at the same time, since I moved all my "work and hobbies" to Virtual Machines (VM). So I use
    - Ubuntu 19.10 Minimal Install on ZFS, as Host for Virtualbox.

and the following VMs:
    - Xubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, for Office work, Email, Torrents and WhatsApp-Web using ICE of Peppermint.
    - Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, exclusively for Banking and PayPal.
    - Windows XP, to play my old LP and CD copies with WoW and TrueBass effects
    - Ubuntu Mate 19.10, to test and try-out Apps, like running Linux games in a VM with 3D accelleration
    - Windows 10, for watching Dutch TV (no support for Linux)

I use Windows 10 and Peppermint 10 to have a serious look at Office 365 and OneDrive for my old Microsoft Office Documents.

I browse the Internet using the VM or Host, which is on screen at that moment. My music in Windows XP keeps playing, while I reboot e.g one of my 20.04 Alphas. The XP-VM has been installed in 2011 and is running now on its 3rd desktop. Virtual Machine installs tend to live longer than raw metal installs, because it clearly separates hardware issues (Host) and software issues (Guests). I use exactly the same VMs on my Dec 2011 HP Elitebook 8460p (i5-2520m and 8 GB), but I have to update the .conkyrc file for the number of CPUs.

With the right Vbox set-up and using ZFS in the Host, there is no noticeable difference in responsiveness.
    So I'm a happy user of the Ubuntu
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; November 13th, 2019 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post

My only problem is every time a LTS comes out, I tell myself that I am just going to wait for the next LTS, but seem to upgrade to the interim releases anyway...
    I have a tendency to do that on my laptop. My desktop stays with LTSes.

I, too, think 20.04 is going to be a great release.

Karmic was my favorite. I loved the colors used in the default themes. It was rock solid for me.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We each have different memories and things we think are "best" about any release.

10.04 was the best Ubuntu release. It behaved as expected. The server configs worked as expected. No funky new stuff was forced onto users. Someone running a Linux server in 1996 wouldn't be lost using 10.04. Networking, init scripting, DNS, were all the same, plus APT was great in 10.04 so the 1996 admin wouldn't have to pull source code, compile and install all the dependencies manually before getting to the real program desired.

KVM was solid for people running server VMs.

IMHO.

The only way 20.04 could come close to 10.04 would be to purge systemd, purge netplan.io, purge snaps as default installs and have wayland as an optional display manager. "Best" is highly subjective.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    "Best" is highly subjective.
    Absolutely. Especially since I haven't used it yet.

But I have been watching the slow evolution of Ubuntu since 8.04 Hardy, and this next release seems to be everything I am looking for in an OS.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Dapper Drake was the best release. The first LTS; they introduced the live installer; compiz was on the rise for easily using the GPU for compositing the desktop rather than dumping everything through the CPU; and when they determined that it had insufficient polish they delayed the release for two months to make sure that it was good enough. And it had the coolest name.

Everything since then has just been incremental improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have been very happy with the October releases. My first Ubuntu was 9.10 and 10.10 was my favorite gnome 2 release. 11.10 was a vast improvement over 11.04 and 12.10 was the first Unity release I liked. I currently use Budgie 19.10 and the 20.04 development release and don't expect any major changes before April with Budgie . I'll get back to the Gnome Shell eventually.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; November 14th, 2019 at 10:54 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

@Frogs Hair I loved 11.04, and after upgrading to 11.10 rolled back to my 11.04. (I did so like gnome 2.34|36 or whatever it was on 11.04 using gnome-classic) I may be in the minority, but I loved 11.04

My primary box is 20.04 (development) and as such the changes are gradual and are easily forgotten.

Yes I noticed the big change when LXDE was replaced by LXQt (for Lubuntu 18.10, with LXQt & LXDE being new options at login), and loved some of the changes Xubuntu made in the 17.10 & 18.04 cycles (esp. audio panel items) but most changes I don't really recall. I login & look now and again at gnome, mate... (my bloated desktop has many desktops installed) but as GNOME Shell's not my cup-of-tea after using it a day I happily move on to something different the next day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

pffft, everyone knows 10.04 was the best one.

anyway, i hope there will be a smooth transition this time. before i could not do the system upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 due to unresolved bug. so i did backup&reinstall of 18.04.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast