Thread: Android's Wireless Interface through USB

Beans

Lightbulb Android's Wireless Interface through USB

I am working on getting Android's wireless interfaces accesible to Ubuntu's Network Manager.
    I cannot connect to the internet without using my Android. No ethernet and no Wifi card.
    The interfaces are visible using ADB through USB but they are "Managed." How do I get to where I can use the android's wlan0 interface?

Updates to come...

Keywords: android Wifi Wi-fi wireless device interface USB driver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Android's Wireless Interface through USB

This link may or may not be helpful; my guess is it will:
    How to use a smartphone as a mobile hotspot

...I was recently given the above link myself when asking a similar question here. I haven't followed through entirely yet, so I may not be much further help at the moment, but usually someone else can fill in the gaps...

Here's the most relevent section, from page two of the above link:
    13. Can I use a third-party tethering app instead of the one that comes with the phone?
    Yes, there are several apps that let you set up a Wi-Fi hotspot. To the mobile data provider it looks like regular (not hotspot) data traffic. As a result, it doesn’t count towards your monthly hotspot data limit.

I don’t recommend any of these apps for iOS, as most are not available on the App Store and many require jailbreaking your iPhone. Third-party tethering apps are much easier to come by for Android. My current favorite is PdaNet+. It’s free and can be installed from the Google Play Store. It adds a very useful idle timer that shuts down the hotspot if nobody’s using it.
    Hope that helps.
    --jetsam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Android's Wireless Interface through USB

Can you install apps on your "Android?" What device are you using?

Does the solution in this video work for you? (More compatible but browser only)
    PdaNet+ with Linux

or this one, for lower level integration? (System level)
    PDANet+ with Linux revisited