Thread: Write the changes to disk - option during install of daily iso

Beans

Write the changes to disk - option during install of daily iso

While attempting to install the daily iso I downloaded on Friday I noticed that the installer provides some feedback that got me to stop the install process and post here.

So I made a test case and did a install with another disk attached to a VM, which does not produce the same results:

In this second image, I did a install to "vda" and rebooted into the install iso, and went to do a install to "vdb", in this second case the partition table for "vda" does not appear to be changed. Can anybody help explain what's going on here?

Edit: To make things clear, in the first image I'm attempting to install to a disk and it complains about changing partition tables for _other_ disks (this would be bad!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:46 PM. Reason: Image Size

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Write the changes to disk - option during install of daily iso

Do you have a swap partition on every drive? It will try to mount and may reformat swap partitions if found. Some have posted that UUID of swap was changed and caused issues booting a different install. Not sure if that was Ubuntu or another distribution.

Otherwise what are those partitions?

When I installed it, I told it to use one partition as / , not to use swap which I did have, so it would use swap file and to use ESP on sdb, which it ignored and used ESP on sda anyway.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Do you have a swap partition on every drive? It will try to mount and may reformat swap partitions if found. Some have posted that UUID of swap was changed and caused issues booting a different install. Not sure if that was Ubuntu or another distribution.

Otherwise what are those partitions?

When I installed it, I told it to use one partition as / , not to use swap which I did have, so it would use swap file and to use ESP on sdb, which it ignored and used ESP on sda anyway.
    There's 5 other disks in the system, in the image - sda is the install disk, [cdgh] are either unformatted or part of a another zpool. There are no swap devices

Beans

I'll note that each disk listed in the first screenshot is a gpt style disk. I also tried to reproduce this in a VM with two disks but was unable to.. it's a really strange statement

Beans
    Hidden!

I have noticed the same output or something similar, but was working in a dedicated computer for testing, so I did not react very much.

I think you have found a bug. That warning about writing to several drives is probably wrong, but it is scary in a real case when you install alongside a drive with some valuable partition.

I think the partition table is only modified in the drive where you actually create or edit a partition.