Thread: VPN setup on Netgear Nighthawk router

Beans

VPN setup on Netgear Nighthawk router

I just moved to a new location and my ISP (Mediacom) does not support VPN. So I got a new router a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. The Media tech support "baselined" their modem (ie turned of routing). I have turned on the VPN on the R7000 and still get the "The VPN connection disconnected because the VPN service stopped".

I have installed openvpn "sudo apt-get install openvpn" and "sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn"

I downloaded the config files from netgear and put them in /home/{user}/vpn folder.
    ca.crt, client.crt, client.key, and client2.conf

The site I was following said to copy the OpenVPN configuration file (e.g. vpn1234B_1.ovpn) to the installation directory. There is no .ovpn file and I can't find one anywhere. The onlything in the /etc/openvpn directory is update-resolv-con.

I'm trying to connect to my work computer from home. If I use my cell phone as a hotspot it works fine so I know my settings are correct.

I tried portforwarding 1173 and nothing.

I am on 16.04.

Any help would be appreciated.

-DG

Beans

Re: VPN setup on Netgear Nighthawk router

I would advise reset router settings. If connection not working, perhaps just try to install another VPN. Or read this article about https://webguidevpn.com/use-for/best-vpn-for-torrenting/
    Last edited by pawelmatias22; 1 Week Ago at 09:00 PM.