Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a Text Editor with Macros

Beans

Suggestions for a Text Editor with Macros

For my first Linux experience, I have just loaded Ubuntu onto an old (2012) desktop, and am trying to find apps which will work the way I work.

Right now, I am looking for a text editor or 'Notes' application, perhaps with some minimal formatting, but most importantly, with macro or scripting which will allow me to move to the end of the file, insert a new line, insert a row of delineation characters, insert a new line, then insert a datestamp or timestamp. This/these 'macro' would be assigned to a couple of Function keys. (On Windows, I used a Word file, with macros for the date and timestamp insertions, but it became slow, and the file very large.) This application should allow multiple open files, with the files in tabs across across the top (or bottom) of the page. With these multiple files, I will have a pseudo text based organiser, or personal information manager.

As I am new to Linux, I don't really know what apps are out there. I have searched but haven't found anything which looks suitable. The capabilities of many of these applications are not very well explained.

Any suggestions for this 'Editor' or 'Notes' application ?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestions for a Text Editor with Macros

There's only 1 editor for any computer system. vim. It can do anything you can imagine - except have a menu/GUI. There are hundreds of thousands of pre-created macros which can be merged into the running environment based on which directory the program runs from.

Using vim does require a completely different way of thinking and you won't be productive using it for weeks. OTOH, once you learn how it works, you'll never want to use any other editor.

Vim is cross platform. It is available for pretty much any computer. Every router I've ever touched had a copy of vim installed - and usually no other editor. This means that vim isn't just handy, it is required knowledge, unless you plan to be an end-user forever.

Lacking the commitment to learn vim for the next 5 yrs (yes, it is THAT capable), something like geany or Atom are more like traditional Notepad++ editors.

If you want a PIM, there are lots and lots of options. A local wiki, gnote, BasKet-Notepads https://basket-notepads.github.io/screenshots.html , Zim, or just use a Markdown editor. Vim has a markdown mode, but so do many editors like geany or atom. https://alternativeto.net/software/basket/ has some alternatives.

For GUI stuff, I find that getting a quick overview is easy by viewing a few youtube videos or checking out some screen shots.

BTW, most people avoid learning vim for 6 months to a few years, but eventually come back around and pick it up. When I was new to Unix, I started with emacs. Took about 6 months to realize that I kept switching emacs into vi-mode to get anything done.

Work through the vimtutor application for a gentle introduction. Then sleep on it before deciding.
    Last edited by TheFu; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:49 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your advice Fu. At the moment I am trialing Zim, which is a graphical text editor. I'm still learning, so it would be unfair for me to criticise it. I'll keep your advice in my system. Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Bluefish editor is a good one to try. I use nano for the command line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There is only vim.

Vim, and the unfortunate vimless masses.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    There is only vim.

Vim, and the unfortunate vimless masses.
    It's so good they stopped installing it by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Who did, Canonical? That's just rude...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    Who did, Canonical? That's just rude...
    It's dated, they say. Every training vid I've seen for the past couple of years has recommended Nano for CLI.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's not dated. Nano? Nano is fine, if you are a noob.

Vim is industry standard. Silly corporate decision.

Edit: Manjaro, Ubuntu, Sabayon, OH MY! Manjaro, Ubuntu, Sabayon, OH MY! (to the tune of Lions and Tigers and Bears from T.W.O.OZ.)
    Last edited by jetsam; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:35 PM. Reason: I'm mean like that...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nano is fine for those who don't want to spend the time learning how to VIM. I've used it years ago. I just like Nano more. I personally know it isn't outdated, because TheFu uses it and he wouldn't be using it if it were outdated. We're getting off topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast