Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a Text Editor with Macros

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Suggestions for a Text Editor with Macros

There's no outdated...
    I used wordpad again yesterday to format some javascript I copied from Bashing-om's link.

We're getting off topic.
    Correct. We should be talking about vim.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I started off with Emacs decades ago and now use jed, a lightweight editor that defaults to an Emacs-like interface. jed supports both keystroke macros and, for more complicated tasks, ones written in its macro language, S-lang. Here are some examples: https://docs.huihoo.com/homepage/dku...ed_macros.html

Like vim and nano, jed is a text-mode editor. It uses control and escape key sequences where you hold down the Ctrl or Esc key and type a letter. However it also has a menu that you can activate by pressing F10. Recording and playing back keystroke macros is available from F10 > Edit > Key Macros.

jed is in the Ubuntu repositories.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Picking an editor is a very personal thing. If you want to start a holy war in any computing forums, just ask "what editor should I use." Part of the Unix culture and has been since the 1980s. Would you walk into a pub in Manchester and say that M-United sucks? That's how Unix people feel about their editor choice.

I have only one use for nano, gedit, kate, xedit, pico.
    Code:
    sudo apt purge nano gedit kate xedit pico

Find what works for you, ignore everyone else.
    Last edited by TheFu; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Picking an editor is a very personal thing. ......<snip>.......
    Find what works for you, ignore everyone else.
    Yup. I use different editors depending on what I'm working on.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

How about we answer the OP's question rather than engage in a discussion of editors? As I said, I use jed and know it supports macros. I don't think nano does. I rarely use kate, but a quick look suggests it doesn't support macros either.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    How about we answer the OP's question rather than engage in a discussion of editors? As I said, I use jed and know it supports macros. I don't think nano does. I rarely use kate, but a quick look suggests it doesn't support macros either.
    Because none of the documentation I am reading says that Nano and Bluefish do not offer support for Macros. When I do a search for text editors that support macros, those editors do come up in every article. If those two don't do macros, then I would use VIM. It appears from post 3 that the OP has found what he/she wants for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can imagine a use case where you'd create a script that would launch any text editor after appending the date and a delineation to the file with a simple echo command. I mean something like

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo ============= >>$1
    date >>$1
    vim $1
    For some simple formatting consider using markdown syntax.

Otherwise, LibreOffice Writer supports BASIC macros, like Word does.

Beans

There have been various problems with the editor for a bit now. Although it's a good starting point editor, I try few editors and now I use a third party editor with Vivado. I'm running Notepad++ on my Windows platform and it's integrated nicely with Vivado and offers more bells and whistles than the Vivado editor (macros, etc.) and for the most part is bug free. Notepad++ will run on Ubuntu as well, my suggestion is to jump to a third party editor. Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Zim is a graphical note-taking app - like a personal wiki. No macros that I remember.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

With xdotool, every program has a macro capability.

Heck, there are other programs that handle nearly infinite macros like AutoKey. There are probably 10 others, not counting automatic testing tools. Staying native, means it is unlikely your favorite tool will become unsupported.

Part of the Unix philosophy is to build smaller tools that do 1 thing really well AND work with other tools. This is very different from the Windows way of building stuff - which includes everything + the kitchen sink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12