Thread: Boot Ubuntu with monitor or headless

Beans

Boot Ubuntu with monitor or headless

I have a headless setup using xerver-xorg-video-dummy and an xorg.conf file. But is there a way to make ubuntu recognize a monitor if needed so you can boot to the monitor or headless?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Boot Ubuntu with monitor or headless

I don't understand the question. Even a CLI only server installation (without any X server packages) will show you image on monitor when connected. It will be CLI only (no GUI) but it does show on monitor.

Have you tried plugging in a monitor to the server?

The OS shouldn't care whether you have monitor plugged in or not.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Once I set up the headless setup you cannot plug a monitor in and get a response. Its 100% headless.

Beans

This is a remote unit for network packet capture. Ubuntu would not boot unless a monitor was connected so I went the headless route. But now it would be nice to hook up a monitor occasionally for local access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by veikley View Post
    Once I set up the headless setup you cannot plug a monitor in and get a response. Its 100% headless.
    Quote Originally Posted by veikley View Post
    Ubuntu would not boot unless a monitor was connected
    Maybe you should clarify exactly what you mean by "ubuntu" because that is NOT how Ubuntu server works.

I have not installed Ubuntu Desktop (ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso) but one time on a laptop so I don't know if it would have issue booting if the monitor lid was ripped off but since the purpose of a "Desktop" image is a Graphical User Interface, I would assume it requires a GUI-capable output device.

As for Ubuntu Server (ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso), I have installed it many times on devices that only temporarily have input/output devices plugged in such as keyboard, video, mouse...usually only during setup and then it sits in a corner never to be touched again by anything but a power cord and network cable. However, I only install openssh and use PuTTY or WinSCP to connect to it and manage it. I do not try to install any type of GUI system on it.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; November 14th, 2019 at 03:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    As for Ubuntu Server (ubuntu-18.04.3-server-amd64.iso), I have installed it many times on devices that only temporarily have input/output devices plugged in such as keyboard, video, mouse...usually only during setup and then it sits in a corner never to be touched again by anything but a power cord and network cable. However, I only install openssh and use PuTTY or WinSCP to connect to it and manage it. I do not try to install any type of GUI system on it.
    Exactly the same here.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS is what is installed.
    Last edited by veikley; November 14th, 2019 at 09:14 PM.