Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easy Distro for websurfing with old laptop. Possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Easy Distro for websurfing with old laptop. Possible?

I've a sort of idea though I'm very noob. As said it's fundamental for me to get a ready-to-use internet connection during the live session of the distro I'm searching. Afaik some distros carry a "persistent" live session, in other words I can modify everything during the live session and save it on the usb flashdrive as it was a portable "full" OS. My idea is to work on puppy live session to make my usb huawei dongle to connect the web, save this "job" to the pendrive and then get the modified puppy into a new .iso file. In this way I guess I'll get a puppy iso with internet connection working out of the box and I could put it into my flashdrive for emergencies. Is it possible? Do you think it's the best way to get my goal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I like your plan, and think you should proceed at your own pace, and keep us posted...

We might be able to help if you hit a roadblock on the way, but I suspect things will go pretty well, barring unknowable difficulties getting the wireless USB device working.

Beans
    Distro

Here we are, my first roadblock and of course it's about my usb huawei dongle because it doesn't appear in "lsusb" list. If the idea is good let me know if it's the case to go on posting here these troubles about puppy or it's better for me to ask to another outside specific puppy linux forum, I remember from my lubuntu adventure how it can be hard to make a linux OS to recognize an internet key. By the way, I've got only this usb dongle to connect to the internet so no wireless or ethernet devices, else it'd be easier
    Anyway I copied some reports got from puppy bionic live session, I mean the infos from "pup-sysinfo", if they can be useful to solve my main/only problem:
    - System https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/QpyWMH95sp/
    - HW https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/HSMH8G7qMj/
    They do not expire if I'm not wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It can't hurt to start a thread on the Puppy forums.

I'm no good with help on your problem. Hopefully someone else on this forum is and will be along to help out shortly.

Beans
    Distro

Good news. I've tried with puppy again but this time I connected my huawei usb internet dongle before running puppy live session and it was recognized as
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 12d1:14db Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E353/E3131
    so I think now I've only to set my ISP, as I do on ubuntu. The difference is that I configure my dongle on 192.168.1.1 firefox page on ubuntu (hilink huawei sw) while I've to set my ISP in a different way on puppy because I can't from palemoon.
    Do you know how to set that? I've opened "internet connectionwizard" window, is this the way to go? If yes, where and how to proceed to set a usb dongle internet connection? See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Does this walk through work for you?
    How to Wi-Fi Connect to the Internet With Puppy Linux

What happens if it doesn't work?

Beans
    Distro

As said in my post #19 I've got only this usb dongle to connect to internet else everything'd be easier especially with a wifi device
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    What happens if it doesn't work?
    Getting an internet connection on my acer is the goal of this thread, if I didn't misunderstand what you meant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Right... I'm playing catch up on some of this stuff, which is why I keep begging off

Brief Googling reveals you now need to muck about with drivers for the thing. It's an area I've never spent any time on.

You might look into getting an easier to configure USB device, at least as an option. They aren't that expensive, and saving time is worth something in situations like these. There's a sticky at the top of the networking forum with buying advice for usb wifi dongles if you're interested.

There's options for using wrappers for windows drivers and stuff like that. Most things can be made to work with enough effort. You just gotta translate the one set of numbers that come from thing 'a' into the other set of numbers to connect to thing 'b.' That's really all a driver does.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123