Thread: Floppy drive writing issues

Beans

Floppy drive writing issues

Hello everyone, since a floppy drive was installed on a Dell Inspiron 540, I have been using it to read old floppy drives I have lying about. However in regards to being able to successfully write to the disk, I keep getting into the issue that the entire drive is owned by root, making it impossible to successfully write to it without invoking root access. How can I get my floppy drive to be used by normal users.

https://i.imgur.com/Lu5QnmE.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Floppy drive writing issues

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    No, I haven't

Beans

Unless something changed since 14.04 - which I've still got on an old P4 Laptop that I only use when I need a floppy, a serial port or a parallel port - there should be a line in /etc/fstab like this:
    Code:
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    Since I don't remember putting that in myself it was probably put there during installation. This means that the drive can be mounted by a normal user without sudo. If I mount a floppy from the file manager, it ends up being owned by root, but if I mount it from the command line with a simple 'mount /dev/fd0' (no sudo), it's owned by my account.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beware: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...rvalds_floppy/
    Linus Torvalds has articulated what much of the world has known for some time, with a merge marking the Linux floppy driver as "orphaned".
    If you have any programs or data still on floppy disks, best to move that onto newer media soonish.