Thread: Postfix send from example.com but from server of mail.example.com

Beans

Postfix send from example.com but from server of mail.example.com

I have setup a postfix server that works pretty much flawlessly with spf records and such for mail.mydomain.com and I can send mails from it without being flagged as spam but only if I send with example@mail.mydomain.com but if I send it with example@mydomain.com without the subdomain, it's flagged as spam or untrusted. Obviously because I set up the whole process for the subdomain and the A record is only pointed from mail.mydomain.com.

Now the question is really, I don't want the A record from mydomain.com to be changed as it is hosting something else, but I still would like to send mails using mydomain.com instead of the subdomain prefix also. Is it possible to somehow do it without being flagged as spam? And without pointing A record to the postfix server?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Postfix send from example.com but from server of mail.example.com

Is there an SPF record for mydomain.com?

Without more details it's hard to know what else to suggest. Can you give us an example of a message that is marked as spam? If you reveal the full headers for the message on the receiving end, does it include a header that indicates why it was identified as spam?

You might also add an A record for mydomain.com like this:

Code:
    @    IN    SOA mydomain.com root.mydomain.com. (
             stuff
             )

IN     NS  ns.mydomain.com,
           IN     NS  ns2.mydomain,com.

IN     MX   0 mail.mydomain.com.

IN     TXT  "v=spf1 a:mail.mydomain.com ~all"

IN     A    10.10.10.10

mail   IN     A  10.10.10.10
           IN     TXT "v=spf1 a:mail.mydomain.com ~all"

etc.
    Adding DKIM signing is also a good idea. You can install the opendkim package from the repositories and add the appropriate support in Postfix.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 1 Week Ago at 06:10 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Postfix send from example.com but from server of mail.example.com

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know you could set the spf for the host if it wasn't the same domain, it's working great now!