Thread: Ubuntu 19.10 - unable to open terminal on remote server

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu 19.10 - unable to open terminal on remote server

I have Ubuntu 19.10 installed headless on a Raspberry Pi4, accessing it via ssh and remmina. I am unable to open a terminal instance on the remote screen.

I read that this could be caused by locale settings becoming scrambled during an upgrade. Although my 19.10 is not an upgrade I did find that the settings we incorrect, in fact locale was empty. I corrected everything but still cannot open a remote terminal.

Code:
    makem@ubuntu:~$ localectl
       System Locale: LANG=en_UGB.UTF-8 UTF-8
           VC Keymap: uk
          X11 Layout: gb
    makem@ubuntu:~$
    Pointers to next steps would be appreciated.

It does seem that 19.10 is bleeding edge judging by the number or settings I need help with. If that is true then perhaps it would be wiser to wait a while for those with the knowledge to fix things?
    Last edited by makem2; 1 Week Ago at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Ubuntu 19.10 - unable to open terminal on remote server

I've got no experience with remote desktops. Whenever I login on a remote computer (not very often), I use command line only. Which, considering that you want a terminal, may suffice for you. I'll leave this for the people who have experience with remote desktops.
    Quote Originally Posted by makem2 View Post
    It does seem that 19.10 is bleeding edge judging by the number or settings I need help with. If that is true then perhaps it would be wiser to wait a while for those with the knowledge to fix things?
    That's true. For new users it may be better to stick to LTS releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 19.10 - unable to open terminal on remote server

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    I've got no experience with remote desktops. Whenever I login on a remote computer (not very often), I use command line only. Which, considering that you want a terminal, may suffice for you.
    Yes, I use the command line, but, I need the command line in the remote instance because the program I use only runs in the terminal 24/7. One of the current problems is, "No terminal".