Thread: 19.04 / Accidentally uninstalled packages, no access to desktop or command line

Beans

19.04 / Accidentally uninstalled packages, no access to desktop or command line

Hi,

so I had problems with three packages, which seemed to be held back forever:

- libsnmp30
    - lmsensors
    - winehq-staging

It drove me mad, so I sought for advice for weeks, Nothing worked. Some online dude told me to uninstall them and reset the repository settings. I did that, but could already see WAY too much stuff getting uninstalled. It was too late. Nautilus stopped working, after reboot there was no desktop available, only the command line.

The system asked me if I want to upgrade to 19.10. Having no better idea, I did so. After reboot... there's no command line, no nothing. Only "dev/sda7 clean" etc prompt.

I got an advice to make a bootable USB to get to the bash history file. I did so, but it's locked and I can't open it.

Please help. I must get the Ubuntu back.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: 19.04 / Accidentally uninstalled packages, no access to desktop or command line

May I suggest a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10? You can backup your documents (if you haven't done so already) using the live disk.