Thread: Gaming Advice

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Gaming Advice

I am not a gamer at all. So I need help on a project. I have an old XP computer I want install Lubuntu on and set up and donate to a disabled boy. His main interest is playing games. The issue is he has no internet so I want to install as many games as I can for him to play just using installed games that don't need internet. His finances won't allow him to get internet. Is there some large group of games I could install for him? Any recommendations? Is Lubuntu OK for this or is another ubuntu flavor that would be better? He does own some DVDs of games but I doubt if they would work in Linux. Thank you.

Beans

Re: Gaming Advice

I haven't tried it on lubuntu, but SuperTuxKart (open source version of Mario Kart) is one of my all time favorites. SuperTux is another good one, which is a linux version of Mario Bros. The games mentioned here are rather simple, but I've spent hours playing them. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2425595 It's one package with a bunch of brain games. I know there are more
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Thanks I will try those. He is a young adult but not all there mentally

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've been a PC gamer for a very long time, and a Linux gamer for the last part of that, but I think that a console would be more appropriate in this instance.

You can pick up a second-hand PS2 for cheap, which has a massive library that you can also get second-hand for cheap. Great games, no need for Internet.

If general computing and access to the outside world was the main objective then a fixed-up old PC with a modern and lightweight OS installed would be exactly the thing. As a low-maintenance exclusively gaming machine it's not as good a fit.

Beans

ExtremeTuxRacer
    SuperTux
    Pingus
    https://secretchronicles.org/

Beans
    Distro

OK thanks for that advice. I am techy but knew nothing about pc games.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

aside from stuff already mentioned...

...there are also the opensource FPS with bots. Red Eclipse (cube2 based game), Xonotic, World of Padman... of course it really depends on the available hardware. my XP machine is descent so i can also run some newish games.

there are also DOS games that will run and there are some linux ports or engines for older games (like OpenMW for Morrowind, OpenRA for Red alert and Command and conquer).

then you have open version of older yet still fun games like Open Transport Tycoon deluxe, UFO AI...

then there are also many games that work in Playonlinux, but they might need internet at their configuration. for example Torchlight is a fun one that works out of the box and has offline mode. i also had no issues installing Oblivion (well this one needed one win XP library), Unreal, Unreal Tournament 2004 + mods, Quake 2, FarCry and FarCry 2. many quake engine based games will work out of the box. i haven't tried them more yet. the old games are available at bargain prices (especialyl when on sale) on GOG.com website.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, that is very helpful.