Thread: USB live

Beans

USB live

Hey everyone, since my Lenovo has bios block to install Linux I'm going to use USB live, and it doesn't look bad except for not saving config, always Bluetooth on when start, and needing to download app like VLC every time I want to watch a movie 🤔.
    So what are off line download option to install in cease no Internet available.
    Like could I have VLC instalation package on memory card
    Always look @ the bright side of life

Beans

Re: USB live

Maybe running a VM like virtualBox or VMWare might be better for you or a solution like https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kodachi or https://www.fosslinux.com/10212/how-...lash-drive.htm

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You might find this useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you have a second USB drive you can use the first USB to do a Full install to it just as you would to an internal drive.
    Safest if you disable your internal drive before proceeding, then use "Something else" when installing.

Beans

Interesting, how do I disable internal drive?

Beans
    Hidden!

it depends on the computer. Please tell us about it: The model. I have a Lenovo that works well with Ubuntu, but some models may be more reluctant.

The straight-forward way is to unplug the internal drive, which is easy with some computers but more complicated with other computers. Watch out for static electricity, when opening the computer!

There might be a 'soft' way via the UEFI/BIOS system.
    Last edited by sudodus; 1 Week Ago at 09:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you are careful and install using "Something else" and make sure you put "/" and the boot loader on the USB, not the internal drive, you do not need to unplug the internal drive.

Your manual should cover disabling your internal drive: https://support.lenovo.com/lk/en/solutions/ht077589

Beans

I've got it installed side by side windows 10, I think 19.10 must have advanced to bypass Lenovo exclusivity to Microsoft.

Thanks for all prompteus responses. Glad to be back in Linux environment
    Last edited by alek5a; 1 Week Ago at 01:09 AM.
    Always look @ the bright side of life