Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Dropbox

Beans

Replacement for Dropbox

Looking for a free alternative to dropbox. I was perfectly happy with it until they destroyed the capability to use links.
    Googling I find lots of sites saying 9 best alternatives to dropbox ... but none seem to do what I want.
    Mega just does not work
    None of the others seem to offer a synchronized directory like Dropbox. I have played about with some and there always seems to be something that does not work. Can someone recommend something simple that actually does work please. Working on Ubuntu Mate.

Beans

Re: Replacement for Dropbox

Not free, but I simply rent a little server from Linode for $5 pm. An old fashioned anonymous FTP server with split upload and download directories still works just as well today as it did 40 years ago.

Beans

I use pcloud, mediafire, box.net & a onedrive account from my college

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I used Google Drive for a short amount of time. It worked flawlessly. I decided I didn't like putting files on a server I don't control, especially when it is slowed by having to traverse through the ISP bottleneck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have pcloud which creates a directory in the file manger with the 10 Gb of free storage . I sync to removable drives on Windows, but haven't found a good simple tool for Linux yet.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i use nextcloud (switched over from owncloud).

also Mega, Spideroak and occasionally for limited things google drive.

not sure what you mean that Mega does not work. works quite well for me and fast.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

I use OneDrive. It's like the rest for storage of photos etc. but with the added bonus of working brilliantly with word, excel etc.

Beans

Hi. Thanks for all the replies.
    I am looking for a system that will sync directories on my hard drive with cloud storage, seamlessly, even if it includes links to other directories.
    A number of these recommendations are ones I have tried which do not do this successfully. Mega is an example.
    A number are not free, like spideroak and pcloud. I have a deep trust of free coming from using linux over many years. The free stuff usually maintained in a very disciplined and user aware manner.
    So. Free, seamless syncning with Caja directories in Ubuntu MATE is the objective. I have online storage so just syncing seamlessly with that might be ideal.
    Last edited by triplemaya; 1 Week Ago at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

rsync and SSH?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

rsync and SSH?
    Thanks for the idea
    Do you know of a script that would set up the connection and initiate the process?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast