Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cannot format or copy files into USB pendrive

Beans

Re: I cannot format or copy files into USB pendrive

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Well then that's not very encouraging, I have only one suggestion now, Download a Gparted iso found here: https://gparted.org/livecd.php.
    Now this may prove to be a challenge if you don't have a source to burn it to. IE: USB/CD/DVD.
    If you do, boot to it (Gparted) and see if that will sort it out. (A Re-format is what your after) this is my preferred method. ***Be careful to pick the USB Drive and not your Installed OS.
    If your unable to burn and boot to the Live Gparted session, try to install it in your current Desktop:
    Code:
    sudo apt install gparted
    I have seen for whatever reason Gnome-Disk tool have the same results as your now seeing.(Read Only)
    Good Luck
    I have downloaded the live Gparted iso burn it to another pendrive and booted with it then check the faulty pendrive but found Read only error. I tried with Disk tool also but it is found that the format menu is not active

is there any other way to recover it
    Last edited by ppbiju; November 8th, 2019 at 03:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have no data to recovery, you may be able to zero out boot block?

Reset USB flash that was dd'd to make it usable again
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9392.../939266#939266 &
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mk...e_the_pendrive
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

We don't know yet, if it is a hardware problem or a software problem. You can analyze it according to the following link

Analysis of the problem

and if you are lucky, get a working USB pendrive again.

Beans

I have used mkusb and tried to Wiping the first megabyte (MibiByte) of /dev/sdb ... :
    ... Failed

I am using credit card type pendrive is this one have any protective notch or some mechanism to protect write
    As it is plain design I am not able to find anything like that

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm sorry, it seems your USB pendrive is damaged beyond repair, when it does not allow wiping the first mibibyte.

Beans

I have one more doubt
    I have copied two iso images of Ubuntu into the pendrive before it gets readonly the files reads well. I can copy it to any where without any errors.
    if the pendrive is damaged then how I can copy the files. The problem is that I can't copy any thing to it or deleting the existing files and of-course I can't format it...

Beans
    Hidden!

If you tried with mkusb to wipe the first mibibyte of the pendrive, and it failed, I don't think it will be possible to write an iso image or anything else. I think that the drive failed after those two iso images were written.

The flash memory hardware and the electronics of pendrives are mass produced and if you have bad luck, it will not last for a long time. The problem was probably not that two iso images were written, anything might have been written. You reached the point when too many memory cells were damaged, there were no more spare cells to replace those that were failing.

The following link and links from it may help explaining what happened,

Pendrive lifetime

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12