Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing new software

Beans

Installing new software

Hello everybody,
    Long time ago I installed a Linux version but at that tme it toke me to much time and effort getting used to it. I removed it from my system.
    Now I wanted to try Ubuntu because some people keep saying it's so much better.
    I installed Ubuntu in dual boot aside windows 10.
    However, I was so surprised that it takes so much work to install the software I need.
    My question: is it really necessary to type all these commands in the terminal for just installing software? Maybe I'm doiing wrong?
    If it's that complicated indeed I need to uninstall Ubanuntu again, just to difficult for me.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing new software

Depends on the software you want/need to install.
    A large selection of software is available with just the click of a button through the Software app.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

A very important lesson to learn is that the way people communicate on a text-based forum, where we wouldn't know which version you're using, or which desktop environment is not the same as when you're using it.

Here we're going to give specific commands, and we'll expect the output to be copied-and-pasted, because it's all text-based.

In use you'll just poke at the menus the same as you would with any other operating system. When you do that, you'll find the Software Centre. Pick what you want and it will be automatically downloaded and installed, and updated as required.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Server or desktop?
    Which release?
    Which GUI - Desktop Environment?

As for installing software, if you are on a desktop, there are some GUI programs for this. Synaptic, "Software Center", aptitude. Check your menus for Software Center. I've never used it, but it is the default in Ubuntu desktops now.
    In these forums, providing instructions is quicker using the shell commands. No need to copy/paste images and waste people's time with GUI instructions.

Software Center is the dumbed down interface into APT, the package management system for Ubuntu. Sadly, Canonical has decided to push more packages using a different package management system recently, snaps. There are a few threads here about the pros/cons of snap packages, so I won't go into that, but it is important to know that there isn't just 1 package manager on Ubuntu anymore, at least for now. Perhaps in 5 yrs, Canonical will step back, see their mistake, and fix it like they did with Unity Desktop.

There is something known as "tab completion" which means we never need to type more than 2-3 characters before auto-complete helps by hitting the {tab} key. This works on both Linux servers and desktops for many commands, options, and files. It is one of those things that is easy to show, but hard to explain in text. Check youtube for videos.

If you learn to use file "globbing" with your commands, lots of typing can be saved where tab-completion doesn't work. "The art of the command line" - google finds it on Github. Crazy helpful for saving time and typing.

Linux isn't Windows. Being efficient in Linux/Ubuntu requires thinking differently. It takes time and it is like learning a foreign language, but when you master the shell/CLI, you'll release the other ~80% of the power that all Unix-based systems have. Without this knowledge, only ~20% of the power is available.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Week Ago at 06:59 PM.

Beans

Thank you all
    Desktop 18.04.3 LTS
    GUI? No idea.
    Yesterdag installed XAMPP, could run the control panel, openend MySql management etc. Also installed Wordpress to use on localhost. Bitnami installed it on /opt/lampp/htdocs/.
    However Wordpress could not be opened in the browser. Later I found out it should be in /var/www/ No idea how to realize this in /var/www/, at least not without dozens of commands in the terminal.
    Today I wanted to try again but could not find out again in which folder my xampp installation was and how to start it.
    So all this is why I asked: is it that complicated really?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You should uninstall Ubuntu Server if you expect running a server without a GUI is easy without any training or effort.

OTOH, if you want to learn to run Linux servers, then people here can provide links to resources. It will take time and effort. Expect it to be like learning a foreign language on the level of effort. Again, if you aren't up to that, just uninstall the server and start with baby steps running an Ubuntu Desktop as a desktop for 6 months first.

My best advice: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by steag175 View Post
    So all this is why I asked: is it that complicated really?
    Installing and running software on Linux is really simple.

Configuring a web server, on the other hand, is always going to be done from the command line, whether you're using Linux or Windows: you're not terribly likely to be sat at the actual machine, and you want it isolated from every other process. If you're scared of the command line, configuring a web server is not a task you should undertake.

Beans

I'm just running Apache server as localhost, so not really my own online webserver. In windows I'm doiing it for several years and you really don't need to do it from the commandline.

All I need is an easy way to install xampp (Apache, php and mysql/mariadb) in which I succeeded yesterday but cannot find where to activate xampp again, that's one of my problems with linux: where is linux storing my stuff? In windows just open the explorer and that's it.

Beans

Thanks, but I did not install Ubuntu server and that's not what I need or want also. Just installing XAMPP and if possible Wordpress.
    I'm also not running my own online webserver, just localhost.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

To install the "LAMP" stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) on Ubuntu you need only run:
    Code:
    sudo apt install lamp-server^
    Both Apache and MySQL will be started automatically and restarted at boot. There's nothing to activate.

The default web site directory is /var/www/html. However you'll have to learn about permissions before doing much more. By default, that directory is owned by the "root" or administrative user. To put files there, you'll need to use sudo or change the permissions to permit your username to write in that directory.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 1 Week Ago at 11:01 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast