Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed up/defrag Ubuntu 16.04 VM on windows 10 host using VMware

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Speed up/defrag Ubuntu 16.04 VM on windows 10 host using VMware

Split the storage into multiple VMDK files. The sparse vs fully-allocated happens at the VMDK file level.
    Then you'd mount the other storage to somewhere specific.

The process is effectively
    old-sparse allocation ----> copy-into -----> New fully-preallocated allocation
    I've never used an in-place modification tool.

If you are tight on local storage, just backup like you normally would to external storage, then delete the VM storage and recreate it choosing to fully preallocate it. Then restore the backup using your normal process.

BTW, I haven't used any VMware products since around 2011. Workstation is an excellent desktop-on-desktop solution, if that is your need.

Beans

Re: Speed up/defrag Ubuntu 16.04 VM on windows 10 host using VMware

Hey, took a bit to get back to you.. I have the new hard disk in the machine now, it is of size 200GB, and I installed one partition of size 200GB. Currently I use 96GB in the system. So how do I make this my main/boot partition (such that I can then remove the old, not preallocated drive after)? Since I did not get the machine to boot from a USB to use something like CloneZilla as described here https://askubuntu.com/questions/7417...-another-drive I wondered if shrinking the current main partition and then using DD for cloning as described here https://serverfault.com/questions/49...r-disk-cloning is a viable option? Thanks!
    Last edited by torben545; November 20th, 2019 at 07:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12