Thread: Must Ubuntu have it's own web-browser?

Beans

Must Ubuntu have it's own web-browser?

When Ubuntu Touch has op the market, there was a own browser Ubuntu-webbrowser App. (https://askubuntu.com/questions/7473...tu-web-browser)
    It was very beta and incomplete. After discontinued Ubuntu Touch OS development, they remove the browser also from Ubuntu desktop.

What do you think?, must Ubuntu have it's own web browser? Instead of or beside Firefox?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Must Ubuntu have it's own web-browser?

IMHO, Canonical shouldn't waste time doing things that are already being done by 10+ other teams. Maintaining dead code costs real money and takes the people doing that work away from more important tasks.

If we want Canonical/Ubuntu to be around for a long time, they need to be profitable and concentrate on areas were people will actually pay.

Ubuntu Phone/Tablet and all the programs for those OSes were bold moves. Perhaps in 15 yrs, those will come back around like the Apple Newton became the iPod, then iPhone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

As I remember web-browser was part of online accounts which I had never found a reason to use since Firefox or any other browser handles passwords and shortcuts already. There maybe advantages that I'm not aware of though.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I think Mozilla are doing a fine job of leading the way with Firefox. Their software and moral choices seem to align with the driving tenants of Ubuntu, so I see no reason to re-invent the wheel. I agree with TheFu in that Canonical has plenty on their plate without taking on all of the fast-changing web standards as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can also install Google Chrome, chromium, or Brave, a chromium-based browser. Opera, too, I believe. Why reinvent the wheel?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I agree with every one else. Firefox and all of the rest of the browsers already in competition with each other to strive for a better browser.
    Just pick your favorite web browser & go with it.
    Last edited by uRock; 1 Week Ago at 04:05 AM. Reason: Please use default font.