Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody interested in Edge for Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Anybody interested in Edge for Linux?

The source code could be available without it following FSF guidelines.

The FSF has no authority over anything, nor any standing except for any it unilaterally claims for itself.

If the source can't be forked, I suppose we would all have to do without "Katana", "Dagger" and "Obsidian". Oh, well.

(Disclaimer: My rather dim opinion of the FSF does not reflect that of the Ubuntu Forums, Canonical, the larger Linux community or my Mom's opinion of pansies.)
    Last edited by QIII; November 15th, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The source code could be available without it following FSF guidelines.
    Since this is all just a "hypothetical" anyway. It could be available for people to review. However, if there is any "nefarious" coding in it, the Linux community would be quickly aware, and t

The FSF has no authority over anything, nor any standing except for any it unilaterally claims for itself.
    Correct. But if it falls in the FSF guidelines, then whether or not it has "nefarious" code, it can be changed and recompiled by anyone who wants to do it.

If the source can't be forked, I suppose we would all have to do without "Katana", "Dagger" and "Obsidian". Oh, well.
    Dude... if it's "forked", it would have to be "Trident Edge", "Edge Pitchfork", or even "Edge Spork."

(Disclaimer: My rather dim opinion of the FSF does not reflect that of the Ubuntu Forums, Canonical, the larger Linux community or my Mom's opinion of pansies.)
    Hey, who's mom are you calling a pansy?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A spork is not a fork. Neither is it a spoon. It is a devilish tool designed for and foisted on the public by greedy companies, absent any trace of social conscience, in order to avoid having to bear the expense of the manufacture of both spoons and forks for civilized and genteel consumers of delicious and nutritious fast food products.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A spork is not a fork. Neither is it a spoon. It is a devilish tool designed for and foisted on the public by greedy companies, absent any trace of social conscience, in order to avoid having to bear the expense of the manufacture of both spoons and forks for civilized and genteel consumers of delicious and nutritious fast food products.
    In other words, a browser designed by Microsoft...

Microsoft Edge, Spork Edition.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

It would be interesting to see and try Edge liberated from the Windows environment and that is the extent of my interest.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    It would be interesting to see and try Edge liberated from the Windows environment and that is the extent of my interest.
    You know... the more I think about this, the more I find "Edge on Linux" to be a ridiculous concept. Back with Windows 98, Microsoft integrated Internet Explorer into the Windows OS. It has been that way ever since, until Microsoft Edge.

Edge is the Windows Browser. Edge CANNOT be uninstalled from Windows 10, as it is used to run all of the other little Windows 10 apps.

The whole concept of Linux (as a whole) is being able to choose the software you prefer, and customize it to your personal preference.

I like to compare OS's to vehicles. Windows 10 is an amazing version of Windows. So, I like to compare it to a Toyota Camry. This is not a BAD vehicle, per-se, it gets you to work just fine.
    I like to compare Linux to Carrol Shelby. Shelby took existing vehicles and customized them to an amazing performance level. Shelby is most famous for customizing a Ford Mustang and (Shelby) Cobra.

I'll take the same comparison, and use it for browsers...
    So, I guess the question is... Why would anyone want to drive a Camry (Edge), when they could be driving a Shelby Mustang (Firefox) or a Shelby Cobra (Chromium).
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I would not keep edge installed , but would try it out of curiosity. I'm not sure if there are any implications for wine or play on Linux users or not. It's my choice to dual boot out of need to use various software and my default browser is Firefox in the Win 10 environment. The weather, news and many other apps in Win 10 are edge dependent.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; November 19th, 2019 at 07:41 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't trust it, and don't want it, and don't know why they're doing it.

When it comes by default on a bunch of distros, I'll try it if it's handy to have a third browser to test a site with.

Otherwise... meh.

Beans

I will stay with Ubuntu as it comes OOTB.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I will stay with Ubuntu as it comes OOTB.
    What Box? Do you have an Ubuntu Box?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast