Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to shows picture files thumbnails ?

Beans

Re: How to shows picture files thumbnails ?

Please can any one tell-me how to set my Ubuntu installation so it shows thumbnails ?
    Tip:
    To best view thumbnails in directories with a lot of images, I suggest you try a program made for that: gthumb for gtk-based Ubuntu, and gwenview for qt-based Lubuntu or Kubuntu.

Beans

Hello SeijiSensei,

Thank you very much for your answer.
    Sorry to replay that late, I was away for a few days.

> It sounds like you didn't install Kubuntu, the version of Ubuntu that uses KDE, but maybe added Dolphin to an existing Ubuntu installation? <
    Yes, that's exactly what's happen.
    I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.
    Then, has I didn't find my mark with the stock files manager*, I've been looking for an other files manager.
    Dolfin was in the list of optional software to install.
    So I installed it, without knowing some other elements (KDE) should precede it.
    I was happy to see the left side panel showing directories and sub-directories in Dolfin.

* I missed left panel showing directories and sub-directories, for one thing side; and the thumbnails didn't shows, for the second.
    As deadflowr helped, now the thumbnails shows in stock files manager, so it's ok for the second point.
    It remains the first.

> If so, it's likely that Dolphin is missing a lot of items that would be there in a full KDE installation.
    > If you want a KDE desktop, you should install Kubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/bi...-live/current/
    > If you boot this image and select Try Ubuntu, you can see what it will look like without making any alterations to your system.
    > The Preview button appears in the top row of Dolphin: https://www.politicsbythenumbers.org...n-top-menu.png <
    OK, I understand.
    The fact is that I don't know much about Linux, and I learn slowly.
    Thus, I would like to keep my Linux installation as basic as possible, without adding unnecessary layers.

So, if there's a way to shows a left panel with directories and sub-directories to the stock files manager, or if there's an other files manager that have left panel and shows image files' thumbnails, I'll not need Dolfin and KDE.

Thanks again, any way.

Beans

Hello Dennis N,

>> Please can any one tell-me how to set my Ubuntu installation so it shows thumbnails ? <<
    > Tip:
    > To best view thumbnails in directories with a lot of images, I suggest you try a program made for that: gthumb for gtk-based Ubuntu, and gwenview for qt-based Lubuntu or Kubuntu. <
    Thanks for that tip.
    As I understand, I've got GTK+ based Ubuntu Linux, thus I need gThumb.
    gThumb - an image viewer and browser for GNOME
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../gthumb.1.html

I'll try it on Wednesday.
    Thanks again, any way.

Beans

As I understand, I've got GTK+ based Ubuntu Linux, thus I need gThumb...
    Correct. If you search for gthumb in Ubuntu Software, and then go to it's page there, you can see two screenshots of how it looks and install it.
    Last edited by Dennis N; 8 Hours Ago at 03:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12