Thread: Installed Ubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox on Dell Inspiron 15 (4K UHD): small font/icons

Beans

Installed Ubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox on Dell Inspiron 15 (4K UHD): small font/icons

I just upgraded my laptop to a Dell Inspiron 15 which has a 4K UHD screen. I've always used Ubuntu LTS to do the bulk of my work as a system administrator/DevOps engineer from and when I installed Ubuntu on this laptop, the fonts and icons are so small (and the position of the mouse pointer so far from where it needs to click) that its almost unusable.

Google searches pointed me at unity-tweak-tool and gnome-tweaks and they address just the fonts but not the mouse or icons.

Is there a single solution that makes Ubuntu useful on this laptop screen?

Thank you, in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Installed Ubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox on Dell Inspiron 15 (4K UHD): small font/ico

If you're running it in a VM, you tell the VM what resolution you want it to be, and the VM tells the guest OS what the resolution is.

KDE and Cinnamon can both scale the interface up with a couple of clicks, but I don't use Gnome.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Installed Ubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox on Dell Inspiron 15 (4K UHD): small font/ico

First, if this is running inside a VirtualBox VM, you need to install the Extension Pack which should give you a wider range of resolutions. You should also be able to select a comfortable display resolution using the Display option in System Settings. On my desktop I run at 1440x900 rather than the default 1920x1080.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

CatKiller, I've used VirtualBox for years but never the Scaling Factor option in Settings -> Display. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to tweak anything inside of Ubuntu. Worked like a charm. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thread moved to Virtualisation a more appropriate sub-forum.