Thread: No screen copy when "menu" is activated

Beans

No screen copy when "menu" is activated

On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    I cannot screen copy (ctlr / alt prtscr) when application ( any application ) shows pull-down "menu".

Beans

Re: No screen copy when "menu" is activated

Same here on XUbuntu 18.04. The key-combination starts a separate program to take the screenshot, therefore menus get closed. My workaround is to call the screenshot program from the menu, it has an option to do a time-delayed screenshot. Set a delay of 5 seconds or so, open the menu you want the screenshot to show and wait for it. The menus will get closed again (because the screenshot program takes the focus while it's saving the shot), but the saved image will show the menu.

Holger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

From which menu ?

Beans

XUbuntu has a menu for starting applications, somewhat similar to the start-menu on Windows 7. In Gnome (which is what you're using if you've got mainline Ubuntu and not one of the other flavours) you have the "Activities" button. After clicking Activities you should be able to search for the screenshot application by typing "Screenshot". After starting it you should be able to take a delayed screenshot similar to what I described in my previous post.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    XUbuntu has a menu for starting applications, somewhat similar to the start-menu on Windows 7. In Gnome (which is what you're using if you've got mainline Ubuntu and not one of the other flavours) you have the "Activities" button. After clicking Activities you should be able to search for the screenshot application by typing "Screenshot". After starting it you should be able to take a delayed screenshot similar to what I described in my previous post.

Holger
    This solution partially works by clicking on Ubuntu form which brings up Activities menu etc.
    As already mentioned - any time a pull-down menu is opened in ANY application = doing print screen clears such menu.
    I am not Linux / Ubuntu expert , just user , but it looks as Linux / Ubuntu issue of "screen shot" process taking over the top (menu) dialog / window.

At this point I do not want to "update" to Ubuntu 18 ( same problem was reported in 18 (!) anyway ) or whatever current version is.
    If there is no solution to this , let it go...