Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows doesn't show up if I boot. Solved

Beans

Windows doesn't show up if I boot. Solved

So i had Windows 10 installed but needed Linux for school so I decided to install it too(ubuntu 18.04 LTS). I did some research on the net and when I was brave enough i tried it: I set up a bootable USB-Disk and so on and everything worked.
    But Ubuntu didnt detect Windows so I clicked on the option "something other" and made myself a partition. I have 2 drives: 1 3TB HardDrive where all of my files are and a 500 GB SSD with windows. I split the 500 GB into 2 partitions and chose "/" as an option because i got an "no root device" error if i didnt. I installed it
    and everything and I can access Ubuntu. But here is the problem:

Ubuntu autostarts: I can't see Grub or anything. Sure, i spammed ESC but when i got in grub i only had 4 options: Ubuntu; Advanced Ubuntu; Memtest; and something with Memtest too

i read some other posts about this problem and i found the command "sudo uptade-grub" but it didnt work.

Im completely new to Ubuntu and Linux and don't know what I am doing but i need Windows asap.
    I hope this community is friendly and can help me. If you need information from me like something like idk:

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1023999 1021952 499M Windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda2 1024000 1226751 202752 99M EFI System
    /dev/sda3 1226752 1259519 32768 16M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sda4 1259520 491763711 490504192 233,9G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda5 491763712 976771071 485007360 231,3G Linux filesystem

or

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sdb1 34 262177 262144 128M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sdb2 264192 3812532223 3812268032 1,8T Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sdb3 3812532224 5860530175 2047997952 976,6G Microsoft basic data

Hope I will get clear answers to fix my problem
    Last edited by lazar07; November 7th, 2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Its Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Windows doesn't show up if I boot.

So, I have two bits of bad news for you.

14.04 is no longer supported. Support ran out in April. 16.04 and 18.04 are still supported.

Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly, it simply hibernates to mask its boot-up time. This leaves its partitions in a dirty state. Ubuntu won't touch those dirty partitions, since any change to them would destroy your Windows install. There is an option to make Windows shut down properly - disabling Fast Startup in Windows - but Windows silently turns it on again with updates. With Windows shut down properly one can adjust its partitions as required, and their bootloaders can coexist in the EFI System Partition. I suspect it's too late for that Windows install in any case.

Beans

Did you create a Windows system repair disk and backups?
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If newer hardware with Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode better to use latest LTS long term support version of Ubuntu. Only use even newer 9 month support version if hardware is brand new, to have very latest drivers.

Fast Start up off (always on hibernation), note that Windows turns this back on with updates, SHIFT + Shut down button
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post13488472
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Be sure to boot install media in UEFI boot mode, since Windows is UEFI.
    More details on UEFI installs in link in my signature below.

Shows installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

sorry got something wrong, will change it. I got 18.04.

Beans

I did nothing with windows before I installed Linux. No backup, no repair disk

Beans

@olfred

I actually got Ubuntu 18.04 LTS but got something mixed up in my mind. I'm really sorry.

I have read all the fast startup links. But my question is: What will it do for me? Will it help me to be able to use both Systems again?

In my BIOS I read that my Computer uses UEFI+Legacy. And I don't know what Ubuntu is doing; just installed the ISO file and used Rufus.
    So now you are telling me that I should check if Windows got Uefi and if Ubuntu got UEFI and change both to the same, right?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lazar07 View Post
    I did nothing with windows before I installed Linux. No backup, no repair disk
    That is unfortunate. At least, from your description, you haven't touched the 3 TB drive "where all your files are." You should back those up before you do anything else.

Then it's probably a reinstall of Windows, then turning off Fast Startup, followed by a reinstall of Ubuntu. Windows doesn't play nice if you install it second.

A Windows install disc may have a utility to repair your installation without having to reinstall, but I wouldn't know about that.

Beans

So, if I unplug my 3TB drive it's save, right? Sorry if I'm asking so much but I'm really nervous and want this to be working in the end...
    Should i delete everything from my SSD? How am I able to do this? Some gentlleman, already sent something about that Fast Startup but can someone explain why I have to do it?
    Do I have to do anything differently than before or does the FastStartup fix everything for me? TY a lot btw (to everyone who replied <3)

Beans
    Distro

If you've backed up the data on the other drive, and disconnected it, it will be safe. Data that isn't backed up isn't backed up.

If you've blown away your Windows install because Windows hid it from the Ubuntu installer, which seems to be the case, nothing will fix that for you.

Disabling Fast Startup is so that you don't do it again.

With Fast Startup disabled, the Ubuntu installer will be able to see your (new) Windows install, and you'll be able to resize your partitions accordingly.

You want to use UEFI for both Windows and Ubuntu. That means turning off "Legacy," or "Compatibility Support Module," or however it's labelled in your setup. The old BIOS and the new UEFI don't mix-and-match very well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast