Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows doesn't show up if I boot. Solved

Beans

Re: Windows doesn't show up if I boot.

I am in Linux right now and if I go to Files, I can go to the second partition where all of my Windows files are located. Am i not able to delete everything manually and then deinstall Ubuntu with the deinstaller and then deleting the partitions. Maybe some sort of cleanup
    program and then im good to go? Getting my windows boot stick and installing windows, turning of fast startup, getting a new partition, getting ubuntu, plugging my harddrive in and boom I'm ready to go.

Another question: Am i able to use the data and files on my 3tb harddrive? Because its labeled "other locations" if i go into my files.
    ("Other Locations" is also where i can go into my first partition for windows..)

Beans

Am I not able to delete the files manually? I am in Ubuntu right now, went to files --> Other locations and I see my Windows partition... Who is going to stop me from deleting all this?

And then: Deleting Ubuntu with some Ubuntu deinstaller, cleaning the ssd with a cleanup program or idk, getting windows running, disabling startup, getting ubuntu running, plugging in my 3tb harddrive and im ready to go?

And am i able to use my data from my 3tb harddrive because it is listed in "Other locations" ?

Edit: Already wrote that sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can use the files on your data partition, sure, especially if you've backed them up. Ubuntu is OK at reading and writing to Windows filesystems like NTFS, it just can't do maintenance things like defragmentation that those filesystems need over time, or repairing them when they break themselves.

If you're able to see your Windows install's files, then it might potentially be possible to repair it with some Windows utility. It's possible that, because you're trying to boot it in BIOS mode rather than UEFI mode, it's simply looking in the wrong place for the bootloader.

However, it's also possible that the files you're looking at are from a recovery partition, which wouldn't have been mounted, and so wouldn't have been marked as dirty, rather than from your Windows install. We can't really tell you what you're looking at.

Both the Windows installer and the Ubuntu installer have the facility to add and remove partitions. Manually deleting individual files would be an unnecessary step.

Operating Systems don't have an uninstaller; you simply install a different operating system.

Beans

So I will get my windows boot stick and just overwrite my old windows and then do the same with ubuntu.
    I have looked everything through, on my Windows Partition arent that many programs that are important (only things like drivers and some games).
    Except the Fast StartUp I install windows as I did in the past and then ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lazar07 View Post
    Except the Fast StartUp I install windows as I did in the past and then ubuntu?
    Yep.

Things to be aware of:

You'll want to be using UEFI and not Legacy.

It is possible to make Secure Boot work, but it's a pain, so you'll probably want to disable that.

OEM installs of Windows stick the drive in RAID and need a driver update before it will work in non-RAID. I don't know if that's the case when you install it yourself.

Since you have no OS and you're mucking about in Setup anyway, you might as well check to see if there's a BIOS update available. Some significant bugs have been fixed with BIOS updates.

Beans

1. Before Installing Ubuntu, I will set it to UEFI in the bios.
    2. I don't know what SecureBoot is, don't know if I had it. I'll just let it as it is.
    3. So what should I do? It worked last year but I have lost the key to a high percentage, but I will buy a new key for Windows. I can use a bootStick more than one time, right?
    4. So before I install Ubuntu I will go into my BIOS and search for some option called Bios Update?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lazar07 View Post
    3. So what should I do? It worked last year but I have lost the key to a high percentage, but I will buy a new key for Windows. I can use a bootStick more than one time, right?
    I don't really know much about Windows licensing, but I understand that the licence is distinct from the install media. As long as you have a valid key for each machine you should be able to use the same media for each. You may potentially have a copy of your old key somewhere in your computer's documentation.

4. So before I install Ubuntu I will go into my BIOS and search for some option called Bios Update?
    You'd get a BIOS update from the website of your motherboard's manufacturer. You stick the file on a USB drive and select Update from within the BIOS.

The downside is that it might confuse an existing OS install, and you might need to run through the settings since they'll be reset to defaults. The first is no longer an issue for you, and you're doing the second anyway, so now is as good a time as any.

Beans

Yeah then... I will start working.
    I won't write for some time because I need to install everything and all but once I've got Windows I will write and then I will continue with Ubuntu.
    Ty very much...See ya later

Beans

I got an error which i didnt think of...
    How can I change the boot order in Ubuntu. I can't start UEFI and i don't find anything useful in GRUB. (I need to change it to USB)
    ty

Beans
    Distro

Most systems will have a key that you can press to bring up the boot menu: one of the F keys normally. You can check your documentation for which key that is for your machine.

If you're using UEFI rather than BIOS you can also use
    Code:
    sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup
    from Ubuntu to reboot into your machine's setup.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast