Thread: linux 16.04 and Brother HL-3070CW can't print .html file

Beans

linux 16.04 and Brother HL-3070CW can't print .html file

Hi all,
    I am running Ubuntu 16.04. I have downloaded and saved a file that has 20 pages. I have tried to print the file on a Brother HL-3070CW color laser printer.
    When I look at the print preview, the file is shown as about 6 columns and goes over 3 pages, showing no drawings (pictures) and the printed word is in a thin column vertically down the right hand column.

I tried saving it as a .odt file, it still opens as the .html did. I tried to print the file but the printer didn't want to know about it. The printer prints normal .odt and .ods files no worries.
    Is there some way of converting the .html file to something that is printable.?

This is (of course) in Libre Office.

I do hope someone knows how to convert this file as I need to have it on paper to start a project following the many steps in this document.

Regards, Rod

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: linux 16.04 and Brother HL-3070CW can't print .html file

I would suggest never trying to print a web page . Instead use a simple addon like print friendly or print to pdf. You will use a lot less paper and ink and the important parts will be there without all the ads. Then print the pdf

Beans

Hello cmcanulty, thank you for your reply, I have looked (since your reply) at the program, it looks like it will do the job, however I am as thick as a brick! Could you advise me how to use the program please, or should I call it an add-on.?
    I have downloaded it but no idea how to get it to convert the file to something printable.
    Sorry to seem so dumb but at my age, things take some time to get through the thickness of my skull...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I hope this approach is easy to understand.

There is a popular application pandoc which is for document conversion. In your case webpage to pdf.

First install pandoc .. https://pandoc.org/getting-started.html

Then follow tips found here ..

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...df-with-pandoc

One tip is to simply print from web site to PDF directly from Chromium browser print settings.

https://www.guidingtech.com/7566/chr...ebpage-to-pdf/
    Last edited by dragonfly41; November 4th, 2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added link ..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you are using firefox you can just go to Tools-AddOns and then search for print to pdf or print friendly and add one . Then there is an icon in the address bar and click on it and print. You can also choose File-Print-print to file and name the file location where you want it printed. Theprint to PDF addon is super easy to use.

Beans

Thank you to both people who have given their great ideas. I downloaded the 2 programs mentioned and tried them out.
    This gave me the ability to at least print the words, unfortunately there are many pictures associated with the description, these pictures did not print.
    A print preview of one program showed the pictures stacked vertically, in the downloaded file, the pictures are shown across the page where required usually 3 pictures maximum.
    The trouble is, nothing would print on that particular program.
    I find the file prints to a different printer just fine, however that printer is out of ink (at least colour ink) and although I can see what it is trying to do, it just doesn't do it without ink. I do not wish to purchase new ink cartridges for this printer because the drum is at end of life.

So I have had a good learning curve through this forum, but unfortunately, not yet the full answer I am seeking.

Thank you both for your effort to date, I do hope there is something that I have missed that could also put the pictures back into print.