Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ”Activation generator failed” when updating to newest Ubuntu

Beans

Question ”Activation generator failed” when updating to newest Ubuntu

Like the title says. I can’t do anything. Nothing works. I havn’t tried to restart my laptop yet. I’m not good with computers and I don’t understand what this means. It just was updating and then this happened. Help, anyone? Thanks. (Sorry abou gigantic photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:21 PM. Reason: Image

Beans

Re: ”Activation generator failed” when updating to newest Ubuntu

Update: So I restart my laptop and now theres just a black screen and nothing is happening.

Beans

Anyone can help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

That looks bad. I'm sorry, I have no idea how to fix that. I found a suggestion (using google) to run an apt reinstall --force command, but of course you can't do that if it wont even boot.
    If it was me, I'd install from scratch and restore my user data from backups.

If no backups, I would be setting about booting the installer USB and using its try-before mode to mount the disks and copy my data off to a backup disk before doing a new install.

Beans

Sorry for be a noob but how can I restore my user data from backups? If I even have any...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zaragendon View Post
    Sorry for be a noob but how can I restore my user data from backups? If I even have any...
    Anyone can help me on this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is going to be challenging. Let's see if we can rescue your data, first.

Do you have a means to make either a live CD or a live USB thumb drive? Also, have you used Linux much before, and do you know how to use the command line?

Finally, do you have access to a USB hard drive or a large USB thumb drive? You need some place to put your data when and if you can recover it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jetsam View Post
    This is going to be challenging. Let's see if we can rescue your data, first.

Do you have a means to make either a live CD or a live USB thumb drive? Also, have you used Linux much before, and do you know how to use the command line?

Finally, do you have access to a USB hard drive or a large USB thumb drive? You need some place to put your data when and if you can recover it.
    Thank you for your respond.

I have an 8 Gb USB thumb drive. Also I have another computer with Windows 10 where I can put my data.

Iv used a little bit Linux and the terminal but I can basically say that I don’t know anything about commands anyway. So if you could explain me everything step by step, that would help me alot. Oh also, I’m not a native English speaker so it might be I don’t understand everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Iv used a little bit Linux and the terminal but I can basically say that I don’t know anything about commands anyway. So if you could explain me everything step by step, that would help me alot. Oh also, I’m not a native English speaker so it might be I don’t understand everything.
    Ok. We'll do our best.

Go here:
    Puppy Linux Installation and Usage
    and follow the instructions.

You need to copy Puppy Linux to your USB stick or to a dvd drive so that we can try to use it to boot into your laptop. This may not work. If the laptop is locked down in such a way that it can't be booted from USB or from the optical drive, then we'll have to find another path through.

You need to pick a particular Puppy Linux first. If your laptop is 64 bit (any relatively newish one will be), then I'd go for Xenial 64 Bit. Here is a direct download link:
    http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux...4-7.5-uefi.iso

That's from this this ftp site, Puppy's official distribution channel for Xenial:
    http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/64/

If you need a different spin of Puppy because you need 32 bit or would prefer something else, you can select from the list here and follow the links for downloading instructions:
    Puppy Linux Downloads

Once you've downloaded the iso, you need to go here:
    Blue Pup Google Drive For Disk Imager

From that page, download "win32diskimager-v0.7-binary." Right click on the file name at the bottom, then select 'download' from the menu to download it.

Then, unzip win32diskimager somewhere on your Windows PC. Run the setup file in the extracted directory. Finally, run the tool, and use it to burn the Puppy version you downloaded above to your USB stick.

Many steps! Take them slowly, and ask questions if you need to. This may be a process, so I expect it will take some time. It helps a lot you have a working computer with you, though.

Cheers,
    jetsam

Beans
    Hidden!

It looks from your image in post #1 that you installed with LVM partitioning, which is not the best way, particularly if you're not used to Linux.

Is this a new install or an update from a previous ubuntu version to a newer version?
    If you do have much data on this ubuntu system you can certainly copy it to an external drive, though as jetsam is saying you will need a live OS to do it.
    As you presumably installed Ubuntu at some time in the past you may already have either a live USB or DVD version you can use simply for this purpose.

It may be even easier to simply reinstall the Ubuntu from a live system after copying your data elsewhere as installing is quickly done. If you do reinstall I recommend that you do not use LVM but choose the default installation to disk.

More detail about your hardware would be helpful; is it UEFI or MBR/BIOS?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast