Thread: a virtual device i could use if it were ever added to the kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

a virtual device i could use if it were ever added to the kernel

a virtual device i could use if it were ever added to the kernel would have 2 variations, one as a character device, and one as a block device. i would these /dev/block-b and /deb/block-c. opening, as permitted, would always succeed. non-blocking mode is, also, always permitted. multiple opens are always allowed. any process that does a read or write will always block.

one use case i have is to use the character version as a terminal. it would pause an input much like a tty when the keyboard is not used.
    What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: a virtual device i could use if it were ever added to the kernel

That's one of those "so simple I'm surprised it's not done that way already" ideas. Very unix-think. Much --wow. (sorry)

I wonder if it would have security implications. It's such an abstract and general idea it's hard to guess what its use cases and limitations would be. It would obviously be useful to learn driver development with, as a dummy driver for early code if nothing else. It actually sounds like it would make a good chapter one in a "how to develop drivers for Linux" book.