Thread: Cannot get proper Spanish keyboard configuration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Cannot get proper Spanish keyboard configuration

The laptop I am using was sold in latinamerica and it has a Spanish keyboard. I however prefer my software in English so I am trying Ubuntu 19 in English. I cannot get the proper keyboard configuration to work. I used the settings to change the regional settings and selected Spanish as language then several of the Spanish variations underneath. According to the keyboard displayed by the eye icon, it should match my physical keyboard BUT when I start typing things that are not characters it just comes up with some other symbols and NOT those that are on the key or on the displayed keyboard. It is very frustrating to use the keyboard this way. BTW after adding the Spanish keyboard i moved that configuration up so that it appeared first in the list of keyboard configurations.

I tried plain Spanish, Spanish with no dead keys, Spanish Win, etc. all the same problem. I do not want to install Ubuntu in Spanish.
    Last edited by lordofscripts; October 28th, 2019 at 11:51 PM. Reason: found solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Cannot get proper keyboard configuration

Oh well, it appears that moving the Spanish keyboard configuration up the list was not enough. I found that on the top bar on the Ubuntu desktop screen there is a dropdown that still showed "en" and when I looked into it it turned out to be the selected keyboard configuration. I changed it to Spanish and now keys are mapped well so far. I thought it was safe to assume that moving the configuration as the first in the list in the settings app was sufficient, apparently not.