Thread: Gnome install 20.04

Beans

Gnome install 20.04

I installed the Gnome package (20.04) last night starting with a basic-server install iso and so far everything works out of the box. Amazing I thought.

However my second drive (18.04) is no longer able to boot. I did a update of grub and 20.04 does see the second drive, but will not give me the option to boot it up. A BIOS boot of 18.04 goes straight to 20.04. This is a non-efi system. Not so sure whats up with this, it was working before the 20.04 install (which is now my primary drive).

Beans

Re: Gnome install 20.04

Problem resolved

SSDs are so darn fast. I must start tapping on the shift key as soon as I turn on my laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Problem resolved

SSDs are so darn fast. I must start tapping on the shift key as soon as I turn on my laptop
    That they are. Was trying to get into the grub selection on my laptop the other day and just couldn't get it. It wasn't an issue back when it had a dinosaur drive in it.

Beans

Makes me wonder what M2 storage will be like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Makes me wonder what M2 storage will be like.
    I have an M2 drive in an Asrock desktop. booting is not that different, boots to GRUB and waits 10 seconds or whatever is set. I think programs load somewhat faster but I don't find it that noticeable. I was a little concerned about NVMe & Ubuntu but so far no issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

My SSD boot times are so fast that I can't see being able to notice much difference with anything faster. My screen flashes twice after the BIOS display, then the login screen appears.