Thread: Autohide

Beans

Autohide

My host is 18.04.3 and my guest is Centos 7. In my guest I'm using Gnome-classic that is the same option that I have in my host that is gnome-flashback. While in my host I can set the top and bottom panel to "autohide" by alt->right_click on the panels and get to the "properties" I can not do the same on the guest. Is there any way to achieve in the guest the autohide feature for the panels?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Autohide

Any ideas?

Beans

Perhaps I should post this in another forum?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't know CentOS-7 but I wonder if this autohide is available by default in the OS if it is run normally as a hard-metal install rather than as a VM.

It is also possible that the virtual hardware does not provide the necessary acceleration needed for the autohide, but I am not sure about that.

It may be worth searching in the VBox forums at https://forums.virtualbox.org/

Beans

Perhaps. You're missing some key information in your question. I know that would have to be configured in the VM software on my system, if it is even possible, but I do not know what VM software you're using.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I think that Gnome-classic in Centos and Gnome-flashback on Ubuntu are the same thing. In the latter, choosing Metacity gives the lowest required acceleration so autohide is not a problem. Again, in Ubuntu is very simple: you just alt->right_button on the panels and configure the properties. I cannot do the same thing on Centos, I tried many key combinations to no avail. Perhaps there is a file that I have to edit to achieve that.

Beans

Configuring the panels

I've been wondering around different forums and I think that in this one I will find the answer. I'm running VirtualBox on my 18.04.3 Dell, and my guest is Centos 7. On the host (18.04.3) I'm using the Gnome-flashback and on the guest I'm using Gnome-classic that are the same thing. I would like to configure the panels on the guest (e.g. autohide), but when I enter alt->right-button on top of the panel, that key combination is caught by the host, so I would need to do that directly on whatever file holds that setting. Can some guru please tell me what is the file that holds those settings?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Configuring the panels

I don't use Gnome, so I can't tell you the exact setting, but Gnome stores its settings in structures that were called GConf and became dconf. Both approaches have a GUI editor application and a command-line settings application. They're just nested key/value pairs.

There is also gnome-tweak, which exposes a subset of the available keys.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Re: Configuring the panels

Duplicate thread here https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2429909

Please do not open duplicate threads.

Merged.
    Last edited by uRock; November 8th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I came to this forum because I didn't get any response from the other forum.