Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A particular PC fails to boot any Ubuntu Live version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A particular PC fails to boot any Ubuntu Live version

So, I have this PC (one of HP's old towers, 2 GB RAM, 32bit architecture, BIOS properly configured for USB boot) where I want to have a Live USB working. The problem is, on any Ubuntu version I tried (I tried 19.04, 18.04, 16.04 and 14.04, the last two being i386, and they had persistence):

19.04:Ignores the USB
    18.04:Ignores the USB
    16.04:SYSLINUX line shown, Ubuntu loading screen for a second, falls back to initramfs with no error
    14.04:"Press a button for options",Ubuntu loading screen for 30 seconds, falls to initramfs

The initramfs behavior: Nothing is on the screen except BusyBox lines and initramfs prompt, help prints commands, any wrong written command turns into an inline and makes no response until reboot, if written "exit":
    1)Kernel Panic: not syncing, attempted to kill init (panic dump)
    2)System gets softbricked, prompt and cursor freezes, holding power button won't work, need to plug it off

What I have tried:
    1)Different USB drives
    2)Different PC's of the same model
    3)Different burner with/without persistence (Rufus/YUMI)
    4)Different PC (it works properly)
    5)All USB's used are checked against bad sectors

Any idea of why this happens?
    I don't always drink coffee. When I do, it usually throws a kernel panic at me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: A particular PC fails to boot any Ubuntu Live version

are there any removable device cards in it?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nope, verified that nothing else is plugged in except the USB drive. BIOS set up correctly (it's too old to be an UEFI, so no CSM/UEFI switch present) to look for USB boot first. There are no boot/administrator passwords blocking anything on it. Also got a AIDA64 report for it, but unfortunately it's in my local language, so here's the catch of it:

PC:HP 500B Microtower (x86)
    Processor: Dual-Core Intel Pentium E5500, 2800 MHz (14x200, I guess this count means threads, but might be wrong) and guess what, it's an 64-bit processor wasted on a x86 board, supports SSE/2
    RAM: 2 GB DDR3
    Graphics:Intel G41 Express Chipset (801404 KB)
    BIOS Firmware Release Year:2010
    Booting Drivers :Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
    BIOS Capabilities:Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, Network Service Boot, EDD, BBS
    Supports PAE/NX, VMX/Vanderpool
    Last edited by bsodx; October 27th, 2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: It supports SSE2.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bsodx View Post
    it's an 64-bit processor wasted on a x86 board
    That would surprise me. Anyway, with 2 GB of memory it makes little difference whether you install a 32 or 64 bit Buntu.

Let's try a different approach. Are you able to install Lubuntu from the alternate ISO using a DVD (or from the minimal ISO using a CD)?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Pulling both of them and trying tomorow, but I forgot to say that I need to liveboot only. The main reason I want to get that working is so I can have a rather safe system running on a completely unprotected PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

None of them are able to do a live boot. For this purpose you need the standard ISO.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Then I'll be pulling a standard Lubuntu and try that, if there is one.

Beans
    Hidden!

Text screen and CD

Would it be OK with only a text screen, no graphics? In that case a live Debian 8.11 standard iso file might work for you. It can fit on a CD disk.

DVD

If you can write and run a DVD disk, you can make a more modern Debian live drive for 32-bit systems, for example with the light-weight LXDE, LXQt or XFCE desktop environments via this link (iso files or torrent files).

Otherwise cloning to USB drive

If you get something working via CD or DVD, fine.Otherwise you can try cloning from such Debian 32-bit systems into a USB pendrive.

The Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator and Disks (alias gnome-disks) and mkusb are cloning tools for live-only USB drives.

In Windows you can use Win32 Disk Imager or Rufus in dd-mode.

mkusb can also create persistent live drives, but I suggest that you wait with that until you have a cloned live-only drive that works well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Will try DD Mode at Debian 12.04, and if not, 6.04. Wish me luck, the place is closed for 2 days so I won't pretty much be able to try it on until Wednesday.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think DD mode will work with Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, but probably not with for example 12.04.1 LTS. Do you mean 16.04 LTS? 6.04 is really too old. Anyway, good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast