Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A particular PC fails to boot any Ubuntu Live version

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: A particular PC fails to boot any Ubuntu Live version

One of the issues with Ubuntu versions after 14.04 is that support was dropped for many older video cards, so you may not have any display at all on screen for a system this old. If you are able to swap in a newer video card, you may find that newer versions will work for you. Also, many BIOS for older systems are unable to boot from USB, so you may need to Live-boot from DVD since Live-boot CD's are no longer supported.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

I have an much older laptop, found that from 12.10 up to including 15.10 ubuntu and other ubuntu types did not like my graphics. Almost any 16.04s I put in, would work very well, except the lubuntu LTS(LDXE?) that I was using since 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    One of the issues with Ubuntu versions after 14.04 is that support was dropped for many older video cards, so you may not have any display at all on screen for a system this old. If you are able to swap in a newer video card, you may find that newer versions will work for you.
    Only a few, old cards have dropped out recently. Intel G41 is supported, and in general Intel is doing a lot to support their hardware: https://01.org/linuxgraphics

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    Live-boot CD's are no longer supported.
    It's still supported but not many ISO's fit to a CD these days.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

@morgaes - While I do not have a list of the video cards no longer supported in Linux by their manufacturers, in my experience both with my antique D800 notebook with an obsolete AGP bus-type video card and with my dumpster salvage server, a change to a newer video card brought me the ability to run the newer Ubuntu versions. The dividing line seemed to be when video cards VRAM changed from MB to GB in capacity for both NVidia & Radeon. YMMV. While other distros indeed support Live-CD, I was thinking more along the line of Ubuntu's offerings. Perhaps the mini-iso will fit on a Live-CD; I haven't checked. The main versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and so forth seem to be all sized to fit on a DVD even when the OS without added applications (ie, LibreOffice and others)would fit on a CD. I didn't mean to be misleading.
    Last edited by MoebusNet; October 29th, 2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay-I think I have pinpointed the issue- it's persistence. Today I tried on Debian 10.0.4 (in both DD/ISO image mode, no persistence) and Ubuntu 16.04 (ISO mode with no persistence) and both booted normally. Though when I put 1 GB of persistence on Ubuntu ISO it threw me back to initramfs. So, any clues?

Beans
    Distro

Here's the most recent article I found on persistent-live-USB drives: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1491...b-flash-drive/

The one from the Ubuntu wiki hadn't been updated lately. One thing I seem to remember from the past was that there was sometimes an issue using larger USB flash drives (ie, 32GB, 64GB). If you've been using a large USB drive, why not try a smaller (~8 to 16GB) flash drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, I have been using my trusty 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer for the work. Swapped once with an 32 GB Cruzer Blade though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12