Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mythbuntu replacement?

Beans

Re: Mythbuntu replacement?

Is there such a thing as a "simple" DVR implementation? I've been toying with the idea of having a linux-based solution, but it seems awfully complex. Here's what I want:
    1. Linux server running 24/7 with a 2-channel capture card for ATSC signals
    2. Front end client that can read the recordings and play them back thru an HDMI cable
    3. Easy enough for my wife to operate (I imagine you switch TV source to the front end client, and then use another remote to access the content)
    4. Reliable! I don't want to have to troubleshoot 2 new machines to figure out why nothing works after an update. Can it be up for 2 years with no downtime?

I believe Mythbuntu had a solution like this at one time. I need guidance on what the front-end client would look like: type of motherboard, form factor, disk, fans, IR receiver, remote, etc. Also compatible tuners for whatever ubuntu distro.

Our primary use will be to pause/rewind live TV, and skip annoying commercials on newscasts and other programming. I'm in the US and my location has very strong OTA signals.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mythbuntu replacement?

polvino,

Both "thread jacking" and "necro-posting" are discouraged in these forums.
    Please create a new thread and ask your question. Would be helpful to state your experience level with Linux too, since what I might consider "simple" after over 25 yrs with Linux often doesn't apply to others with a few months of experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12