Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Viruses/Malware affect ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Can Viruses/Malware affect ubuntu?

Although highly possible it is definitely less likely to happen than a Windows infection becaues most people use Windows and most hackers concentrate their efforts on screwing as many people as possible with less effort.In all the time I used Linux I never had an infection although nowadays with everything being web-based, you can visit a page with a trojan that could steal passwords or things you type on the browser I think.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zimbuf View Post
    I mean yes, but that's true with running a web browser in root as well, given GNOME ships with a JavaScript runtime environment. Pointing out WINE for vulnerabilities that aren't much different from Linux is just FUD
    Indeed it is true, but if you run a web-browser as root I am inclined to suggest that you almost deserve malware attacks!

Web-browsers run as root is something that should NEVER EVER HAPPEN!!! Users that do so need to learn a lot more about computer security.

D'ont do it!

PS:
    I've been using Linux exclusively now for over 15 years without any malware or virus-checker, and never had any infections.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by battlex10 View Post
    Can such rogue processes be detected/caught?
    Yes it's interesting how? There was some story when hackers were caught because of server's logs. Happens all the time, probably. How does a user read logs, which logs and what deserves attention in them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by giant-paw View Post
    Yes it's interesting how? There was some story when hackers were caught because of server's logs. Happens all the time, probably. How does a user read logs, which logs and what deserves attention in them.
    That depends on the system's configurations.
    https://www.eurovps.com/blog/importa...be-monitoring/
    https://www.loggly.com/ultimate-guid...ng-linux-logs/

Beans

So, should I install AV at Ubuntu Server to prevent malware?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by situstarget View Post
    So, should I install AV at Ubuntu Server to prevent malware?
    What kind of server? I recommend reading the thread and the Security forums stickies. This one is great. bodhi.zazen did a nice job on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12