Thread: is there a forum here ...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

is there a forum here ...

is there a forum here to post free scripts that i believe is useful and helpful to Ubuntu users (at the command line in a terminal or on a text mode console) that are not immediate solutions to posted issues? if so, is there a size limit to post them in code tags here (otherwise, i do have a place i can link to)?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: is there a forum here ...

No there is not a sub-forum for scripts it is best to place them like on github or some similar site.

Beans
    Distro

what about announcing them with a description of what they do and linking to where they are?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You mean have a thread on the forum where users can provide a link to offsite scripts?

Beans
    Distro

that or a thread per software reference where other users can comment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Might check out how mkusb is handled here.
    I post my scripts on my blog and link to them here when they are relevant. Most are so specific as to not be good for general use or were created in a way that is so specific to my home systems and network that a re-write would be needed for anyone else. All of my blog posts have a date on them, so there isn't any question as to when they were written.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 21st, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This is not my decision to make but I can tell you the concern we have is that our users will get a malicious script from some anonymous user so that is the reason we do not allow posting of scripts here so I am fairly certain we will not allow links to scripts hosted on other sites, just some scripts that are used to help diagnose issues by trusted members are used and not posted on the forum either and if I understand you correctly any forum member will be able to post scripts or links to outside scripts and that is dangerous because we have new users that join and post scripts then are gone, we do not have the time and not all Staff has the expertise to check scripts for malicious commands. If we have links to scripts on other sites most new users will think we endorse those scripts and have done proper review of them for dangerous commands.

Staff have the responsiblity to try to keep our users safe from such dangers, if an admin has more to add or has another opinion I am sure they will post when time permits.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; October 21st, 2019 at 02:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'd trust TheFu with no reservations. That is the sort of respect one builds over years of excellent support. But note that TheFu directs people to things that are specific answers to questions asked.

Answers to questions not asked are of little value unless they are good tutorials for common tasks ... and for those I recommend reading our guidelines very carefully.

Tutorials like this are exemplary.

A list of scripts various and sundry would not make for an acceptable tutorial. Don't do it.

If you read the tutorial guidelines, you will find that an attempted tutorial that is little more than a series of links to other sites will not be accepted. Don't do it.

If you post for 9 or 10 years and have a personal blog that is not specifically commercial in nature, then you can refer to specific articles that directly answer a question.

If Phoronix has an article about a specific question, you can refer to that if it directly answers a question.

If Arch's forums have an answer to a particularly knotty issue, you can refer to that if it answers a question.

If a site that uses advertising to support itself has an answer to a question and if you do not stand to profit from the reference, you may link to that if it answers a question. The staff may remove the post if it is questionable, however.
    Last edited by QIII; October 21st, 2019 at 03:32 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

i will say what my latest script is without saying where it is. anyone who wants it will have to use the google. i do create many general purpose scripts as well as tight purpose. this one filters multi column output from another command and lines up the columns, numbers right justified an everything else left justified. that can be a single sample of the kinds of things i create (my nickname being Norwegian for The Creator).

i do understand the issue. i have posted for over 30 years ... just not here that long (almost 10). leaving it up to users to find what they want by their own means makes sense. then it is their responsibility to verify the safety of whatever they find. new users should understand that other users here are not vetted (mods may be, admins probably are). even answers to questions have risks, but that's what they came here for.

if this place is not a software resource then no one should pretend that it is. i was asking to be sure. it didn't appear to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if this place is not a software resource then no one should pretend that it is. i was asking to be sure. it didn't appear to be.
    I will be clear the forum is not a repository for scripts and no one is pretending it is.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; October 21st, 2019 at 04:55 AM.