Thread: Matrix Screensaver on Ubuntu Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Matrix Screensaver on Ubuntu Linux

Hello everyone is there anyway to install Matrix Screensaver on Ubuntu Linux?

Thanks so much for any help on this

Beans

Re: Matrix Screensaver on Ubuntu Linux

Do you mean a screensaver that simulates the 'Digital Rain' from the intro / credits sequences from the Matrix movie trilogy ? There's two of those in xscreensaver, named xmatrix and glmatrix. The latter uses 3D graphics to give the effect depth and tilt it. They can be found in xscreensaver-data-extra and xscreensaver-gl. Obviously they need xscreensaver. How well xscreensaver integrates with your DE of choice I don't know, but it was painless enough on XFCE that I don't remember having to do anything special.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    Do you mean a screensaver that simulates the 'Digital Rain' from the intro / credits sequences from the Matrix movie trilogy ? There's two of those in xscreensaver, named xmatrix and glmatrix. The latter uses 3D graphics to give the effect depth and tilt it. They can be found in xscreensaver-data-extra and xscreensaver-gl. Obviously they need xscreensaver. How well xscreensaver integrates with your DE of choice I don't know, but it was painless enough on XFCE that I don't remember having to do anything special.

Holger
    Do you mean a screensaver that simulates the 'Digital Rain

Yea that's what I mean can I install something like this on Ubuntu mate or Ubuntu

Beans

They can be found in xscreensaver-data-extra and xscreensaver-gl. Obviously they need xscreensaver. How well xscreensaver integrates with your DE of choice I don't know, but it was painless enough on XFCE that I don't remember having to do anything special.
    Actually, on XFCE you don't need to install xscreensaver. Whatever screensaver XFCE uses (I don't know) is able to use those screensavers on its own. For my XFCE all I installed was the screensaver data and gl packages (and the extras).
    Code:
    sudo apt install xscreensaver-{data,gl}{,-extra}

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Actually, on XFCE you don't need to install xscreensaver. Whatever screensaver XFCE uses (I don't know) is able to use those screensavers on its own. For my XFCE all I installed was the screensaver data and gl packages (and the extras).
    Code:
    sudo apt install xscreensaver-{data,gl}{,-extra}
    Bingo WOW thanks so much just what I was looking for not to mention there's a ton of good one in this package.

Is this only for XFCE desktops? or can it be installed on Ubuntu also

Now I know why I always come here for help Big thanks
    Last edited by RobGoss; October 20th, 2019 at 01:27 PM.

Beans

I don't know about other desktops. Some may also need you to install xscrensaver - XFCE seems to have its own and doesn't need that. I have seen screensavers working Ubuntu so I know it's possible but that's all.