Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

I've just downloaded Ubuntu 19.10 to give it a spin and notice it uses 2- GIG of Ram just to keep this system going with noting running. is there any reason why it's using so much Ram with this release

I do think the system is a bit faster but am I willing to give up so much Ram resources not sure. I'm currently using Ubuntu mate and it only uses 726.31 MB

I would like to switch back to Ubuntu but seeing it's consuming so much resource I'm not sure it's worth it

What are your thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

Hello,

actually in ubuntu flashback it uses slightly less or the same which is ~1GB in my system. In ubuntu classic it goes higher than that and with a quick look ~ 1.2GB. Have you checked which is the resource hungry cause that uses so much ram?
    ps ux and system monitor will provide you more info.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It's the reason I use Xubuntu instead! Gnome 3 is a resource hog. Even with 8GB of RAM there's a very noticable difference in speed loading applications and processing my projects.

There are plenty of very good alternative desktops and applications that use far less RAM and processor power.

I must be crazy to love school.
    Confessions of a Technophobe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the tips. Yes I am aware of all the different distributions of Ubuntu I have many installed on different machines

I just don't understand why Ubuntu does not focus on this distro using less resources that's one of the reasons I moved away from it. I'll have to see what's using so much ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It is common for Windows computers to have 16-64GB of RAM, so Ubuntu wants to have all the "cheese" enabled they can for end-users who like the cheese to enjoy. Every bell and whistle is enabled, even if you don't want them. That uses RAM, CPU and gnome3 is a GPU hog.

For people like you and me, cheese for no purpose isn't worth it. I prefer to begin with a lighter distro, then add anything I want. I suppose some people would prefer to start with a bloated distro and remove things they don't want, assuming there isn't a "just right" distro for them.

The idea than any OS needs more than 512MB to run well freaks me out a little.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    I've just downloaded Ubuntu 19.10 to give it a spin and notice it uses 2- GIG of Ram just to keep this system going with noting running. is there any reason why it's using so much Ram with this release

How did you check usage? using vmstat I get: 647824 K used memory, and free=6486376

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I wish there was documentation explaining RAM usage. My system running 19.10 is only using 750MB of RAM at idle. It only has 2GB of RAM and nothing is currently being used in swap.

Beans

when you use system monitor or top (vide terminal), which is the top memory hog application? web browsers these days could easily consume 1 GB of RAM, if several tabs are opened..

Beans

If you are concerned with speed, then you need to install either Slackware or OpenBSD with XFCE. You will be blown away.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    If you are concerned with speed, then you need to install either Slackware or OpenBSD with XFCE. You will be blown away.
    Hello HermanAB, well I'm am always concerned with the speed of my machines seeing a few of them are very old. Now when I was old I mean none of my machines have less then four GB of Ram, and the max machine is running 16-GB

I'm just concerned about Ubuntu 19.10 using so much Ram. I've always loved Ubuntu but when Gnome was introduced as the main desktop environment I had to move away from it to see if things gotten better

It sounds interesting, Slackware or OpenBSD with XFCE, but I don't know much about it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast