Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Have you got some stuff running "in the background" that might be burning up RAM? Like Bluetooth, Samba, network sharing, antivirus or daemons you don't need?
    No nothing like that, I was trying to test 19.10 and using the USB drive so I don't know if that would make a difference

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think it does! But I do the same thing when trying out a distro, I won't use virtualbox for that. If it's slow Live, it'll be slow installed.

I must be crazy to love school.
    Confessions of a Technophobe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    I think it does! But I do the same thing when trying out a distro, I won't use virtualbox for that. If it's slow Live, it'll be slow installed.
    Yes I do all my installation in a live environment

Thanks a bunch for that
    Last edited by RobGoss; October 21st, 2019 at 02:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    I would have to say your machine is doing well with Ubuntu 19.10. I have Mate installed on one of my machines and it's using about the same as yours
    I will add that that install is in a VM with only 2GB of RAM. From what I have noticed over the years, Ubuntu and others will use more or less RAM at idle depending on how much has been allocated. That is why I mentioned how nice it would be to have documentation explaining how the OS determines this, which would help folks who had questions on it. I am using Xubuntu as my primary on my desktop production machine and laptop used for testing and breaking. I have Debian Buster LXDE on a Netbook running as a server and it is only using 270MB of the 2GB RAM.

Beans

Code:
    ps aux --sort -rss
    Try that. It will list your processes by highest usage from the top down. You can isolate it that way. Found here.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...y-memory-usage
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; October 20th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I will add that that install is in a VM with only 2GB of RAM. From what I have noticed over the years, Ubuntu and others will use more or less RAM at idle depending on how much has been allocated. That is why I mentioned how nice it would be to have documentation explaining how the OS determines this, which would help folks who had questions on it. I am using Xubuntu as my primary on my desktop production machine and laptop used for testing and breaking. I have Debian Buster LXDE on a Netbook running as a server and it is only using 270MB of the 2GB RAM.
    Thanks so much for the help and information on this issue

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Unused ram is wasted ram. These days computers have so much ram its stupid. Might as well use it for something. Post results of

Code:
    free -h
    I'd post mine for comparison but I'm ripping dvds so my ram is fat right now.

Look at your actual available ram, not what's used. May be cache load. Linux uses ram like it's supposed to, doesn't let it sit and waste itself.
    was looking for something else, sort of, and saw this topic. i'm using linux mint 19.2 with xfce and this is my memory usage as computer sets right now.

total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 7.7G 761M 1.3G 33M 5.6G 6.7G
    Swap: 2.0G 0B 2.0G

surprised as heck to see it only using 761M, but cool as heck. no wonder mint runs so well on everything i've put it on. used to use lubuntu, but that doesn't have nearly all the tools and stuff mint has that are very handy. wouldn't dream of using that bloated ubuntu, even on a very good machine!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by missmoondog View Post
    <snip>.....wouldn't dream of using that bloated ubuntu, even on a very good machine!
    I'm thinking Gnome is where the bloat is, not ubuntu. One of the reasons I dropped Debian Buster with Gnome from my desktop and put ubuntu on it, was because I always kept System Monitor open and constantly saw a lot of gnome stuff that didn't need to be running. Those processes were eating RAM. I installed Xubnutu on it and the difference was very obvious. Much less RAM utilization by background applications. Here's that command on my Xubuntu desktop before and after shutting down my video processing for Motion server and the RAM eater we call Firefox.
    Code:
    urock@urock:~$ free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           5.8G        2.2G        719M        112M        2.9G        3.2G
    Swap:          7.8G        512K        7.8G
    Mem:           5.8G        580M        2.5G         17M        2.8G        4.9G
    Take a look at your buff/cache output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I'm thinking Gnome is where the bloat is, not ubuntu. One of the reasons I dropped Debian Buster with Gnome from my desktop and put ubuntu on it, was because I always kept System Monitor open and constantly saw a lot of gnome stuff that didn't need to be running. Those processes were eating RAM. I installed Xubnutu on it and the difference was very obvious. Much less RAM utilization by background applications. Here's that command on my Xubuntu desktop before and after shutting down my video processing for Motion server and the RAM eater we call Firefox.
    Code:
    Mem:           5.8G        2.2G        719M        112M        2.9G        3.2G
    Mem:           5.8G        580M        2.5G         17M        2.8G        4.9G
    Take a look at your buff/cache output.

I believe you're correct I should have made it more clear. I would say Gnome is the resource hog indeed. On this machine I have Xubuntu all ready to be installed I see how it runs, I had it installed awhile back and its was great. I never really liked Gnome for this reason
    Last edited by RobGoss; October 25th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast