Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Whu does Ubuntu use so much resources

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I wish there was documentation explaining RAM usage. My system running 19.10 is only using 750MB of RAM at idle. It only has 2GB of RAM and nothing is currently being used in swap.
    I would have to say your machine is doing well with Ubuntu 19.10. I have Mate installed on one of my machines and it's using about the same as yours

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    Hello,

actually in ubuntu flashback it uses slightly less or the same which is ~1GB in my system. In ubuntu classic it goes higher than that and with a quick look ~ 1.2GB. Have you checked which is the resource hungry cause that uses so much ram?
    ps ux and system monitor will provide you more info.

Regards!
    Thanks a bunch I'll have to check on that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

TheFu's I'm with you on that I don't need a lot on any system. I am a minimalist so I'm always getting rid of software that's not needed
    Last edited by RobGoss; October 19th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    How did you check usage? using vmstat I get: 647824 K used memory, and free=6486376
    With system monitor it shows what using much of the Ram but I will have to take another look

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    I've just downloaded Ubuntu 19.10 to give it a spin and notice it uses 2- GIG of Ram just to keep this system going with noting running.
    Don't see anything close.
    With gnome-shell/mutter around 600 MB used.
    With unityshell/compiz around 525 used.

Beans

Have you got some stuff running "in the background" that might be burning up RAM? Like Bluetooth, Samba, network sharing, antivirus or daemons you don't need?

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unused ram is wasted ram. These days computers have so much ram its stupid. Might as well use it for something. Post results of

Code:
    free -h
    I'd post mine for comparison but I'm ripping dvds so my ram is fat right now.

Look at your actual available ram, not what's used. May be cache load. Linux uses ram like it's supposed to, doesn't let it sit and waste itself.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; October 20th, 2019 at 01:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Unused ram is wasted ram. These days computers have so much ram its stupid. Might as well use it for something. Post results of

Code:
    free -h
    I'd post mine for comparison but I'm ripping dvds so my ram is fat right now.

Look at your actual available ram, not what's used. May be cache load. Linux uses ram like it's supposed to, doesn't let it sit and waste itself.
    i like to see a low ram usage right after i boot up. i like to see zero swap usage because swapping is slow. with ssd swapping will be faster but ram is still the fastest so if it all can stay in ram that makes it the fastest. so why do i want to see the usage be a small fraction of ram? why do i use xubuntu so that it is? why do i like to see so much available ram? do i get any benefit from that number? so that i can use that ram for myself!

Code:
    lt2a/forums /home/forums 20> free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:            15G        6.3G        454M        1.8G        8.9G        7.2G
    Swap:           15G        2.3M         15G
    lt2a/forums /home/forums 21>
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I wouldn't use swap at all on an SSD. That's a lot of read/write operations. Swap was used back when RAM was precious and disk space was slightly less precious. RAM is now dirt cheap. 4GB goes a long way. 8 GB is a lot. 16GB is probably overkill for the vast majority of users. Someone running a heavily used server might want to use swap for scaling, but it's really unnecessary for a desktop user, IMO.

You ARE using that RAM for yourself. Linux maintains buffers and cache in RAM to make things faster. Rather than having to re-read a file from disk, maintaining it in memory means the next time you want to work on it it is already in memory without having to be read from disk. If the memory is needed later for some other task, the OS will sacrifice some memory from an older task to make room for something new.

Unless it is due to a leak (which is NOT what most people think it is. An application's use of excessive memory beyond what is really needed is not a leak. The failure of an application to release memory when it dies is. That memory cannot be recovered by the kernel and it can grow to the point where the OS fails.), you should be happy about the RAM being used. That makes things faster for you.

It is a misconception to think that memory use is a bad thing in Linux. It is a good thing.

With regard to RobGoss' question, your use may indicate something amiss. All the forgoing notwithstanding, there are times when RAM use is excessive -- indicating that a lot of needless processes may be running or one process in particular may be running wild.

You can use

Code:
    to find out what is using all the memory. It could be that the eye-candy is gobbling it, something that really is irritating.
    Last edited by QIII; October 20th, 2019 at 02:25 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

actually i think i need even more than 16G. so maybe 64G in my next one. i use a lot. i could run more things in the cloud.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast